Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Back in School


What joy for all three of us to be back in school together today!! Christi wore her hat with hair attached; however, I learned she took it off and on throughout the day. She immediately told me after school that one kid made fun of her at recess for being bald, but then she giggled and said, "Only one! There are a lot of kids on the playground." (Not too bad, I guess!)

She continues to feel very well and we're grateful for that. I'm also grateful that Dr. Maris decided to "tank up her platelets" before we left so that we don't even need to have her blood counts checked this week. Ahhhh!

Tonight I just paid for our return plane tickets (Tuesday, after school, March 21st).

My conversation with Dr. Maris yesterday was the shortest ever. He told me it was a dramatic response. Of course, I was thrilled - but started to pick out little things I noticed until he soon said, "90% of the stuff is gone," which hushed me immediately! I thought the MIBG scan looked much improved; however, I did point out a new spot. (I think on her liver.) Dr. Maris left to check the scan again and came back and told me it's too low to be the liver or adreanal gland, or a rib but it is lighting up in one bright spot. Therefore, they'll do a full abdomen CT scan and find out where it is and if it is neuroblastoma before starting the chemo. (Nurse Practitioner Pat Brophy called me tonight to tell me it's set for 8:30 AM on Wednesday, March 22nd.)

We celebrate this tremendous news; yet, we know it's a long way from gone. Spots remain in her: skull, ribs and legs. We also know how things can change on a dime; however, for now we celebrate!! Dr. Maris's plan is to do two more very hard rounds of high dose chemo (TVD starting March 22nd) and then to switch to a clinical trial for minimial residual disease if she continues to respond. We hope to get her there with two more rounds of chemo; yet, we fully realize that she's had great intial
responses in the past; they just don't last.

Thanks for lifting her up in prayer! We've been richly blessed!

6 Comments:

At 16/3/06 8:56 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lehmann said...

What great news! Lets get working on that last 10%!! Miracles CAN happen!! She looks soo happy with her class!

Love & Prayers,
Jennifer

 
At 16/3/06 10:11 PM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

Christi, just remember, God only made a few perfect heads, the rest He covered with hair. You have the cutest head of all! xoxoxo

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!

love, sylvia

 
At 16/3/06 11:11 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Back at school- now those are three wonderful words for three wonderful gals! :)

Christi- LOVE your hat with the hair- you look great- but then again you always look just beautiful to me. Inside and OUT!!!

I'm so glad to read that Christi has had a such a dramatic response to this chemo, great news. I of course will continue to pray,pray, pray for her. She's forever my hero, my hope and my inspiration!

Love you all!!

Love and tons of prayers,
Heather

 
At 17/3/06 8:13 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!!

Have a great day in school and at home!

So happy for all of you that you are home sweet home.

HUGS to you all!

Love and prayers forever and always,
Heather

 
At 17/3/06 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how all of Christi's friends wear hats!! And I just love Christi's hair hat too cute!! God bless and have a happy st. patricks day!

 
At 18/3/06 8:52 PM, Blogger Jan said...

Hi Thomas team!

SO glad you made it home safely.

Christi...have fun playing with Shayla and enjoy school and your friends and hug, hug, hug those kitties!

Angela...renew and refresh your spirit with your family and friends.

Shayla and Shane...enjoy every minute you all have together!

Prayers go up...
Blessings come down & Miracles DO happen!!

God is good. Praying this next round of chemo kicks butt(and cancer)!!!

Sending prayers and lots of love!

Jan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home