Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

A Kick in the Pants

When I glanced out the window of the Ronald House at 6:45 AM and saw Mr. Grant already waiting out in his van for us (35 minutes early), I couldn’t believe his kindness. I panicked, then quickly hopped in the shower while mom got Christi ready and soon we were off to CHOP. (Well…….after she opened a sweet package waiting for her at the Ronald House! I somehow knew Tim would understand!) Daily I’m reminded of His goodness and His work of Angels on earth doing good things for others. We have been blessed beyond belief. Thank you to all of our “unseen” helpers getting us through each day of this journey! Thank you for loving our family!

The results of this morning’s CT scan were not at all what we had hoped and prayed for. Although not at all unexpected, right now I feel like it’s “kick me when I’m down,” (You see earlier today I received her blood counts and saw that her LDH is higher than it was last week. Disheartening to say the very least.) Regarding today’s CT scan:

“At least seven new lesions are present within the liver. Six of these are identified in the right lobe, with one lesion in the lateral segment of the left lob. These are consistent with metastases neuroblastoma.” (Dear God, Why? Why? Why?)

Now I remind myself that today’s CT scan was compared to her last CT scan (which was clean) back in December of 2005. Dr. Maris wasn’t certain why “the liver” didn’t light up on her MIBG scan of February 1st; however, he did remind me that she had so much disease then that perhaps it just didn’t stick out with everything else lighting up back then. He said that everything else resolved so it’d be odd if that wasn’t the case with the liver too. (Well, I’ve been around NBIV relapsed/refractory disease too long. I KNOW the liver doesn’t always respond the way the rest of the body does to treatment and I know that once it’s spread to your liver, you’re typically done soon. I’m not trying to sound negative here; however, I have lived this disease 24/7 for the past 3 ½ years and quite frankly I’m downright scared and fearful.) Additionally, he told me that she had a 70-80% response while last week with Aunt Marty he said 90%. Ugh! On a positive note, I asked him if he felt that her disease would be further reduced by doing a second round of TVD and he said that he fully expected it to. (We pray he’s right.)

Finally to explain my fear, for the past 3-4 days I’ve noticed Christi’s been arching her head back and trying to snap or crack her neck. When I asked her why back at home she told me it just felt like it needed to be cracked and then it felt better. While observing her today she did it a few times each hour so I felt I’d better show our sweet NP Pat Brophy. Of course she wasn’t thrilled as her face indicated to me, and she said exactly what I thought, “It doesn’t change anything we’re going to start today.” Late this afternoon her chemo finally started over in the day hospital and then we were moved into her room (3 South, room 24). She will be here until she's discharged on Monday to go back to the Ronald House for most likely two additional weeks.

This is the nicest room we’ve ever stayed in. It’s huge with hardwood floors, a computer with Internet access and purple walls. It’s great the way CHOP tries to camouflage this place into a resort when really it’s a brutal battlefield where pediatrics and professionals brave the most vicious and conniving of all enemies – cancer.

Today, during the many hours spent waiting for appointments and her chemo to begin, Mom and I read “The Secret Garden” (Thanks, Werling Cheerleaders…..and Tom, hee hee) to Christi and to a fellow 4th grade cancer fighter she met here in January. Mom located the DVD of it here at the hospital and we had planned to have “Movie Night” up here on the 3South tonight, but the treatment got the best of sweet Tara and she crashed hours ago…..hopefully tomorrow before she heads for home. Christi takes great delight in having friends here to play with and girls her age are very hard to come by. On the plane she told me, “This time if there’s a kid my age in the playroom I’m going to go right up to them and ask them to play.” (Of course, she’s too shy to do that, but to see Tara in the waiting room today was great since they’d met before.)



Tonight brought great joy as we hooked up the new web cams (Thanks, sweet Arnolds!!) and were able to see and have a lengthy (live) chat and viewing with Shayne and Shayla back home thanks to free Internet here at the hospital-and to sweet and generous friends back home. When Shayla held up Buckeye and then Buttercup so Christi could see her cats, I cried. (And when sweet Buckeye ran across the piano keys, Christi bent over laughing soooooooooooooo hard!) Praise God for technology-bringing our family together in the midst of this battle and for sweet Angels on earth for getting us through each day.

5 Comments:

At 23/3/06 8:54 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

UGH a kick in the pants is right. I'm so, so sorry to read that Christi's liver is indeed involved, I had hoped and prayed that this would not be the case.

I too ask why God why? So, so often and my heart just hurts for and with you. This darn disease is pure EVIL! I hate it SO!!!

Praying hard that this round of chemo will reduce her disease further. And that the side effects will not be too horrible or rough on your sweet, gorgeous Christi! I love your precious little gal and all of you dearly.

Thank God for technology and sweet Angels like Tim Grant for helping you through each and every day.

I will add Christi's new friend Tara to my prayers as well. I'm glad she had a friend to hang out with yesterday.

With all my love, tons of prayers forever and always,

Heather

 
At 23/3/06 11:39 AM, Blogger Kait said...

I'm so sorry and sickened to hear of the disease in her liver. But as Christi has proved time and time again, she is bigger than this, better than this, stronger than this. She's a living miracle and I believe in my heart that with modern medicine and GOD by her side, her prayer warriors behind her, she can beat this too. Are there any DVD's that Christi would like to watch? I know an enjoyable movie can make the time pass so much more quickly. Let me know!

 
At 23/3/06 1:51 PM, Blogger Jan said...

Hi!

Aren't those webcams awesome?? I talk to my brother back home in south central PA all the time. I get to see my little great nieces while I talk to them. I'm so happy for you to have that capability now.

I'm praying that this round of treatment gets that liver all cleaned up.

Sending prayers and lots of love!
Jan

 
At 23/3/06 5:25 PM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

Hello Christi! Happy Thursday! Well our Central Catholic girls did it last night! They beat Oxford and on Saturday they will play in the State Finals at Hershey! I will be in Connecticut at our cousin Kristi's Confirmation, so you can bet that I will be offering that up! : ) I've been to every girls game but this time my friends and the homemade chocolate chip cookies will have to fill in for me. Hey Christi, do you like chocolate chip cookies? You know that could be my excuse to have to visit with you. And there's no entertaining needed on my part...I can drop them off and go. Let me know.

So Angela....my heart sank with yours...but I don't know, there's this feeling in my gut...and I believe in miracles...and I know you do too...so we're just going to keep the faith and not give up hoping....there are so many who check in on Christi. There's a gentleman in Michigan who I was introduced to through Pat and Linda Connolly - every night at 10PM, everyone who knows Ed stops to pray for him -together. Let's do that for Christi...but let's do it earlier so that perhaps all of her friends can join us...what do you think? ...or maybe you're doing this already and I'm missing it!... but if not, why don't you choose the time Angela...or Christi....and post it on the site. The power of prayer is amazing and I have seen it over and over again. Dr. Maris I am sure is a great physician, but I'm sure that even he knows that there's a GREATER PHYSICIAN than him. : ) Ed, the guy we've been praying for at 10PM...at one point his family decided to take him off life support...that was about 3-4 mos. ago. He just went through another round of chemo. His story is amazing. So hang in there. I hope you feel the love, hugs and prayers being sent your way right this minute. love, sylvia xoxox

 
At 24/3/06 1:19 PM, Blogger brooke said...

hi thomas team -- just wanting to let you know that christi and the whole thomas team and support team continues to be in my prayers. i'm sorry to hear about the spots on christi's liver. i'm sorry to hear that you have to continue to go through this. i wish it weren't so -- for the thomas team, for all the many 'teams' out there. my hopes are that this round of chemo hits the cancer hard, but not christi, and that she continues to laugh, giggle, and play throughout her treatment. and that you angela are able to find some solace and some good nights of sleep.

all my best, brooke from oregon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home