Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Monday, March 27, 2006

"WICKED" Sunday, March 26, 2006


Christi's blood transfusion helped as she said to me, "I can breathe better now." Upon my arrival today, I read in her chart that she had a reaction and in checking with Shayne I found that to be true; however, when they got her up and about her drop in blood pressure resolved itself. Praise God! Today was her last day (5th day) of the topotecan chemo; tomorrow (Monday) will be the most challenging of agents- Vincristine and Doxarubicine. Later she'll be discharged back to the Ronald House. Her need for transfusions will increase and her drastic drop in blood counts will take place in matter of days. Soon fever will set in and this will land her back in the hospital- this time without any chance of "get out of jail free passes". She continues to feel well; however, she does say that her neck hurts and Shayne and I feel ill every time we see her bending her neck back, or rubbing it. The beast is so wicked!


For the six hour pass today (which again turned into eight blessed hours away from CHOP) we spent the first two hours reading and enjoying the Barnes and Noble at UPenn. Then it was back to the Ronald House to heat up some left overs for dinner and to play a bit before heading back out. Imagine my surprise to see a sweet posting to the blog: ... As I was driving home from the city with my friend and our daughters from seeing Wicked this afternoon(which was brilliant), who do I see walking down Walnut Street, from Penn's bookstore I presume, but the Thomas Team. Shayla looked quite happy on her daddy's shoulders! Glad you were able to get some fresh air on a beautiful day. Keeping you all in our prayers. (From: The Rae Family) 3/26/2006
Weeks earlier I noted "Wicked" was going to be in Philadelphia. Earlier, Shayne had contacted Jim Doughtery to inquire about tickets and my sister sent the soundtrack for Christi to listen to hoping to provide a distraction. After learning that "Doc" was so kindly providing our family with tickets (fifth row, center to be exact!) to the sold out production of "Wicked" downtown on the Avenue of the Arts, I read the explanation sheet Tina sent about the show to our family to help us prepare.

While at the bookstore, Shayne located the book and we crammed as well as we could for the show while the girls devoured the children's section. Worried that it may be "over their heads" I couldn't have been farther from the truth. They throughly enjoyed it and picked up on so many things. The musical production was incredible, the artistry magical. After the show the girls had another special treat thanks to an Angel on earth and they were able to meet "The Oz" and "The Witch of the West". Both the actor and the actress were not just talented in musical performance, but incredibly delightful and charming in person as well. What a blessing; thank you!!

Having Shayla here has been the best of medicine for Christi- and for all of us. She will never know the love and happiness she spread here in Philly! The girls have been joyous playing so well together and loving this very special, treasured time. I'm going to have to somehow muster up all the strength and courage I possibly have to turn around and leave for the airport tomorrow, without Christi. I've told her time and time again, "I will always be with you. I will never leave you; no matter what happens- we will be together." (Shayne is the best of playmates; however, when she doesn't feel well I know who she wants for comfort.) Sadly, reality dictates otherwise. Every day of work I miss means my pay is docked and that certainly doesn't help pay our bills. This has been the most trying of times and I simply must head for home and get back to work come Tuesday morning. Shayne's sister (Aunt V) will be flying in from Phoenix on Tuesday to help out for the week while I'm away. Thank you for lifting us all up in prayer!



Wicked
The Kimmel Center presents Wicked. Long before Dorothy drops in, two other girls meet in the land of Oz. One--born with emerald green skin--is smart, fiery and misunderstood. The other is beautiful, ambitious and very popular. How these unlikely friends become the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good Witch makes for the most spellbinding new musical in years.

4 Comments:

At 27/3/06 3:18 PM, Blogger Jennifer Lehmann said...

Oh I am so jealous you got to see Wicked! We tried getting tickets when we were in NYC for our class trip last week, but it was sold out. We saw Phantom of the Opera instead.

Glad you have all enjoyed your weekend together. I hope it goes as smoothly as possible tonight when you and Shayla have to come back to Ohio.

Love & Prayers Always,
Jennifer

 
At 27/3/06 6:16 PM, Blogger Jan said...

Hi!

I'm so sorry you have to go back to work Angela. I will send extra prayers your way this week. It will probably be harder on you than Christi being away. I hope the time just flies till you are together again!

Much love and blessings,
Jan Wilder

 
At 27/3/06 6:48 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Hello sweet Thomas Team,

I'm so glad you got to see Wicked together- how deligtful. I've heard it's awesome and I like your friend Jennifer tried to get tickets for my upcoming trip to NYC no luck!

Praying that this round of chemo helps to reduce the disease and that the side effects are managable.

Praying for God's special strength and peace for you Angela.

Lots of love, tons of prayers,
Heather

 
At 27/3/06 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say your in my thoughts. I am so glad you all got to enjoy "Wicked" together. God bless the amazing Thomas Team!


Love, Erin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home