Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Barnes (Dad's Version)




Just so you know....Angela is at the RMH with Shayla and I am at the hospital (day 8) with Christi. Since Angela is not here to edit my post I figure I am free to take a little creative license. Here is what I remember from our day at the art museum-The Barnes.

It all started at the hospital when I stepped out of the shower and asked for my shorts and it ended with a broken vase at the art museum, but before I can tell you that story I have to tell you this story.... Christi and Shayla both wanted audio tours at the Barnes. Too much information at times!! Turned out both girls loved it and learned so much, however, as with most art museums there were many paintings of nudes. Needless to say, this put Shayla's inquisitiveness into hyperdrive. "Dad, why are so many of the girls naked?" "Why did that artist only paint big booties?" and on and on. Finally she asked, "Dad why is it art if they're naked?" I replied, "I don't know why it's art if it's hung on a wall, but not when I asked for my shorts this morning."

It was decided that after doing the entire first floor of the museum that we better quit while the girls were still having fun. They have been to many different art museums: The Getty, Guggenheim, MoMa, The Met (a lot), Chicago, most of Ohio's (Toledo, Cleveland, Dayton, Columbus, & Cinci.) it is always the same. History has taught us that it is better to leave them wanting more than to overstay our welcome. I am always tense with kids at the art museum anyway and it is even more precarious when they have lost interest. (A docent only had to remind Shayla once not to touch the art).

So Angela and I agreed that she would zip through the second floor and I would take the kids to the gift shop. I was returning the audio tour and collecting our stuff from the locker when I heard a huge crash. Yes-I had told the girls to wait for me in the gift shop and there was little doubt that I had just bought a very expensive glass something or another. Well, when I arrived on the scene Christi and Shayla were standing over a now shattered hand blown vase (VAZZZ). Christi quickly admitted guilt and I just as quickly assured her that it was spilled milk and nothing more. Their remorse lasted another 1.5 seconds and they were back to figuring out what trinkets mom was going to buy them. It's great to be care free isn't it?

We were moved outside rather quickly once Angela arrived. Christi designed a scavenger hunt on the grounds. You can provide your own editorial humor. Items to be found: a crooked stick, three types of leaves, two types of flowers, a squirrel, a straight stick one foot long, and two nuts.

I am busten' out of here tomorrow and will spend the day driving. Tomorrow is the dreaded shot day for Christi so as soon as I give that to her, I am on the road.

Thank you for checking on Christi-I will take another 30,000 days just like today. That should get her to about 80 or so.

Shayne

3 Comments:

At 29/5/06 5:50 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Love that picture of you with the girls Shayne! They both look beautiful!

I'm glad you had such a delightful day (well minus the broken vase) at the art muesum.

Safe travels today to you.

Much love and many prayers,
Heather

 
At 29/5/06 12:15 PM, Blogger thonmom06 said...

Oh Shayne, you are so funny! Thank you! Praying that God is your co-pilot, and gee, maybe you'll even run into Pat and Linda on their way to Michigan as they left around 1030 this morning. It was very sad to see them go, however we are excited to know they will be moving east and we will get to see them more often. I hope all went as well as can be expected with Christi's dreaded injection before you ran! And I guess living the life of cancer most definitely puts life in perspective...when a vazzz is just a vase. : ) You are such good parents.

So our dear friends the Ronco's came up to the farm for our annual Memorial Day picnic yesterday (know that you never have to be invited, just let us know when you can come and we'll create a reason to go!)...Pat and Linda have been supplying our friend Luke with pressed pennies that he collects

(http://www.caringbridge.org/pa/lukeronco/)

Luke has never met them, so when he arrived I asked if he knew who my friends were...and with that Pat slips out a pressed penny... "OH IT'S PAT AND LINDA!!!"
...was indeed PRICELESS.

Luke Ronco's funny:

What did one flea say to the other flea? SHOULD WE WALK OR TAKE THE DOG? I guess I have to admit that it does not take much to tickle my funny bone, but that one still has me in stitches!

Have a beautiful day! We are surrounding you with love and prayer. love, sylvia xoxox

(I'll send pictures separately)

 
At 29/5/06 9:14 PM, Blogger Tine said...

Dear Shayne and Angela,
It is so refreshing to read your blog despite everything you live with daily. Sometimes I laugh, or cry but always your strength and faith outshine the bad. I pray daily for Christi to live to be an old woman.

Thank you for sharing your museum story and "what is art?" questions. I'm reading a junior fiction title called "Chasing Vermeer" by Blue Balliett that your family would probably enjoy. I hope the week brings good news!!
Fondly, Christine

 

Post a Comment

<< Home