Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Eve

Aren’t anniversaries supposed to be happy times? Oh, I’m scared and absolutely dreading 9AM tomorrow. I’ll be at school, teaching and praying I don’t remember it was six months ago at 9AM when Christi exhaled her final breaths and made her Heavenly debut. Oh, as always, prayers are really appreciated!

The weekend was busy (always a tremendous distraction - eases heartache) and wonderful as it was spent with friends and family. We are so blessed! After my Friday night teacher’s meeting, I returned to the hotel. Shayne walked down the street and bought a scalped ticket to watch an NCAA game while we were in Columbus.

Because it was less than 30 degrees outside on Saturday morning and snowing, Shayla and I decided upon the warmth of COSI instead of driving up to Dublin to cheer Shayne on outside. Shayne sent me a text message: “I don’t know if they are laughing at me or with me, but my kilt is getting a lot of comments.” After his race he called and said, “I won my division.” Of course I was shocked. (Shayne, you’re not reading this I hope!) Soon he laughed and said, “First Runner to Cross the Finish Line Wearing a Kilt". Seriously, this race was a giant step forward for Shayne. For years, Shayne had used exercise as a way of coping. After Christi died he found it very difficult to get to the gym to exercise. I’m so proud of him for taking a healthy approach to managing stress and I’m so happy he finished and did very well in my mind – even if he didn’t win any “real” divisions! In the race results, one will note that "Shayne Mc Vicker" came in 92nd out of 331 that finished the race. Congrats, Shayne! http://www.premierraces.com/Results07/St_Pats_Overall.html
At COSI we met up with one of Christi’s best friends. As typical, Shayla had a grand time playing with Cami. I loved it when Cami declared to me, “She reminds me so much of Christi.” All too soon we had to say goodbye to Julie and Cami and we headed north.

We dropped Shayla off with Jennifer and her beautiful mother for loving child care. (Shayla couldn’t wait for us to leave!) Then we went to the President Hayes Center’s Fundraiser – a History Mystery in Fremont. We had a grand time with others from the bank as we tried our very best to answer the history questions and win the team prize. “Eat – Sleuth – Learn” is their theme, but I think they need to add “Laugh” as well! I was very blessed to have won the grand prize –Tea for four at the Dillon House for their Christmas Tea in December! We don’t need four tickets anymore; however, we’re certain Shayla will want to take a friend to this wonderful event we’ve heard great things about! (How did I win? Here is one of the clues: What event happened in the world the same year as “The Raven” was written? I wrote down “the Potato Famine”.) Look out Dillon House - here we come!

Sunday afternoon we again had the pleasure of meeting with the INCREDIBLE ladies from “The Proper Party” as well as Jennifer and her sweet mother, Lisa. To show the incredible impact these amazing women have had on us, I’ll just write Shayne’s comments to Eric on the phone late this evening as he talked about our meeting today:

It’s going to be outrageous! They’re all over it! Not very often do you get Angela and I together in a meeting bobble heading, but they said they’ve done this and this and we’re like, Wow? Are you kidding? They obtained huge Wal-Mart grants, Alice in Wonderland is coming from Chicago, it’s going to be at the country club and they have a DJ!

Tickets will be $15.00 per person and it will be held on Saturday, May 12th at the Mohawk Country club (rural Tiffin) from noon to 2:30 PM. I’ll share more details VERY soon, including how to obtain tickets. (Your ticket will include a chance at an American Girl doll!!) These ladies have been working very hard and we think it will be a super celebration for Mother’s Day weekend!

Tonight our good friends, the Leis family, came over and it was great to eat, relax and catch up with them. Their family business has blessed us time and time again with many delicious catered events, none of which they would ever let us pay them for. (Christi’s First Communion, her funeral dinner, Shayla’s Baptism, our wedding, etc.) Tonight we learned they have just set up a website. If you need catering, we think you’ll be more than pleased by their prices and their service! UNCLE DUDLEY'S CATERING (Willard, Ohio)
http://www.uncledudleyscatering.com/

PICTURE: A year ago – Christi “helping” in the emergency room at the UPenn Animal Hospital. That awesome staff will NEVER know how much joy they gave Christi by letting her comfort and help their animal patients in the midst of a very hectic and busy place. Christi just had a "knack" with animals and I think that love for all of God's creatures clearly showed.

7 Comments:

At 19/3/07 2:12 AM, Blogger Frapper said...

My thoughts and prayers will be with you tomorrow morning as you start your day remembering Christi. I'm sure you do that every day, but I know tomorrow will be a difficult "anniversary" for you and your family. Thank you for sharing your family and your pictures on line; I'm glad you had an enjoyable and distracting weekend. I'm sure the kilt raised a few eyebrows--your husband is a very brave man!

 
At 19/3/07 8:00 AM, Blogger Brigid and Celie said...

May your sweet Angel Christi bring you peace and love and hope from heaven above this morning. You're in our hearts and prayers.


XOXOXO
Brigid and Celie

 
At 19/3/07 10:34 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Thinking of you today and always! You are so very missed, Christi!!

With love and prayers -

Kim

 
At 19/3/07 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you all today - having recently suffered a family bereavement I just wanted to say how much support your honesty on this website is; so you're in my thoughts today, even though I live far away.

Irish girl

 
At 19/3/07 2:12 PM, Blogger nikki the red said...

i totally driving from columbus to tiffin!

 
At 19/3/07 5:12 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Thinking of you today and always.

Always praying for you and remembering your sweet, precious and wonderful Christi.

Lots of love,
Heather

 
At 19/3/07 6:03 PM, Blogger Susan said...

I have been reading your blog for many months now and think of you all the time. Your beautiful angel daughter looked so much like my aunt, who sadly died from neuroblastoma in 1948,at the tender age of 6..I will defintely be keeping you all in my prayers tommorrow and always.

SS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home