Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

A Blessed Day

Through the grace of our dear Lord, Shayla and her family and friends enjoyed a lovely celebration at church this morning! We'd like to thank everyone for making this a special and blessed day as Shayla became one with Jesus. Yes, as always, we missed Christi and felt tears slip down our cheeks when it was announced that today's Mass intention was for Christi - even though we knew it was going to be read. It was still hard to hear it.

Shayla wore Christi's cruifix necklace, which Christi received for her first Holy communion, and thumbprint charm today. She also had a small angel pin on to remind her of Christi and we talked about her many times while getting ready. Shayla remembered Christi's first Holy communion and Christi telling her about the taste of wine.
Shayla with her school friend
This little light of mine; I'm going to let it shine!
Thomas team with Father Joe
Shayla's blessed with wonderful Godparents!
Just like Sue did for Christi's First Holy Communion - another beautiful and delicious cake. (Thanks, Sue!)
"Finally, they let me change and eat my favorite meal - spaghetti at "Fatheads Restaurant". (Thanks, Fatheads!)



We had a little family joke that we know Christi would have thought was a hoot - but since she most likely had the best seats in church, perhaps she actually arranged it.

We were seated in the handicapped pew because Shayne's grandmother is in a wheelchair. As we came into church (nearing the late side after getting our hair done and picking up the cakes, etc.) an elderly gray haired lady was sitting in our pew at the end and we assumed it was grandma. Right before church began Shayne looked down and then flipped his head around to me and declared, "That's NOT grandma! Where's grandma?" Well, I had no idea, but he took off looking for her. He found her in the back of the church where she was comfortable with Shayne's Mom and aunt and uncle. Well, the rest of my family didn't realize that it wasn't Shayne's grandmother and after church they thought we left her because she was still just sitting there. My brother-in-law said as we were packing and heading out the door, "Don't forget about Shayne's grandmother!" Then he was just as surprised as we were earlier when we told him we didn't know who she was, but Shayne's grandma had already left for the restaurant. Christi would have loved all of that! Oh, I miss that sweet giggle of Christi's and I'm so thankful I can still remember what her voice sounded like. That is one of my fears that I will one day forget how she sounded.
Christi and Grandma Gear (2004)
Christi lets her little light shine (2004 / age 6 1/2 years)
Christi and Grandma Falter (April 2004)

17 Comments:

At 15/4/07 6:18 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

Oh, Shayla, I am so glad you had such a nice day! You look so happy in the pictures. I am glad you were able to have something of Christi's with you during this very special moment. I am sure she was with you through it all (even arranging that HILLARIOUS joke!)

I thought of you so often today and I am so glad to hear it all went well. NYC woke up to TONS of rain and on checking the weather in Tiffin, I was glad to see you were spared the horrible weather today.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Much love,
Olivia

 
At 15/4/07 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Shayla, on your special day. The pictures are beautiful!

I have been following Christi's story for some time and especially love looking at all of the beautiful photos. I hope that it is ok for me to mention this, but I noticed an orb in the picture of the Thomas Team and Father Joe...it is to the right of Angela. I believe with my heart that Christi was there to celebrate this special day with Shayla.

 
At 15/4/07 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shayla looks beautiful and so grown up! She looks like a perfect mix of both you and Shayne, I've always thought that. It's so great to hear that you had a blessed and lovely day! I absolutely love the pictures of both Christi and Shayla with their candles from "This little light of mine" so precious! You've said that you're biased thinking you have beautiful daughters but they certainly are beautiful girls. *Stay Strong!*

 
At 15/4/07 9:15 PM, Blogger Kait said...

Yay, Shayla! Congratulations sweetie, I am so proud of you!You looked so beautiful!

 
At 15/4/07 9:30 PM, Blogger Mixed Up Me said...

Shayla you looked absolutely beautiful! I am glad you had Christi right there with you today, just as she always is.

May God continue to bless you today and always~
Ryan Martin
Roseville, California

 
At 15/4/07 9:31 PM, Blogger Jan said...

Hi Shayla!

Congratulations on your First Holy Communion! It looks like you had a WONDERFUL day! I'm so happy for you. I loved all your pictures...you are gorgeous! I loved your hair today too...very grown up. I really loved the picture of you with your pets too. Your guinea pig looks a lot like mine. I just wanted to drop by to say hi. God Bless You!!

Love and Hugs,
Jan and Larry

 
At 15/4/07 10:00 PM, Blogger Jennifer (Kids Cancer Crusade) said...

Shayla, you are beautiful!!! CONGRATULATIONS!

 
At 16/4/07 4:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela don't worry I am SURE that Christi saw and heard EVERYTHING that happened during that special day, She simply was with you, holding Shayla's little hand =)And you will NEVER forget her sweet voice, it's just a part of you.

Love, Oliwia


PS: Shayla I can't imagine more beautiful look for that very special day, I LOVED your dress and hairstyle!!!

 
At 16/4/07 7:58 AM, Blogger Kim said...

God bless you Shayla, on your special day and always!! I know that Christi was with you as you made your First Holy Communion!

Love -

Kim

 
At 16/4/07 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful and inspiring.

 
At 16/4/07 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very sure Christi was watching Shaylas very special moment and that I bet Shayla wishes Christi could be there. Christi and Shayla are defently one in a million.

Love,
Brooke 10

 
At 16/4/07 5:56 PM, Blogger Emmers said...

Shayla looks so beautiful and grown up!! I love her hair! I know that Christi was looking down on your whole family for this special event! Take care -

Emily Galbraith

 
At 16/4/07 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Shayla on your first communion. You look so beautiful in your pictures. I hope your day was super-special.

May God continue to Bless and Keep you...


Nancy in Iowa

 
At 17/4/07 4:57 PM, Blogger Claire said...

Congratulations Shayla on your latest accomplishment! You look so grown up in your beautiful dress! I was acolyte and assisted with communion at my brother's first communion. It was so funny to see everyone's faces when they tasted the (very low quality) church wine for the first time! I love the pictures of Christi, she looks so serious and focused : )

Love,
Claire Olson
Rally Foundation

 
At 18/4/07 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shayla looked beautiful! I can imagine you must have been very proud of her.

 
At 18/4/07 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Angela and Shayne,
I'm very glad Shayla's confirmation went well, she looked lovely, so beautiful, can see resemblance in her to both of you.
I loved seeing the pictures of sweet Christi also, they are so lovely. How funny that the other 'grandma' was sitting there in church, perhaps that was Christi's joke?
Take care,
Love Angela

 
At 22/4/07 9:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry this is so late..

Shayla you looked so stunning on your Communion Day!!! You look like a little bride!!

God Bless you and Congratulations!!

In my prayers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home