Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Congrats, Kyra & Nikki!



On Friday, many tears poured down my face even just driving to the Student Awards Ceremony at Heidelberg College. All of the amazing students who were recognized were inspiring. I feel great about our world's future with these wonderful kids on our planet!

Shayla congratulates Lori on a successful completion of her seven year journey as she earned her Ph.D. a mere 24 hours earlier! YES, Dr. Arnold-Grine!!!!! Go Bucks!! Go 'Berg!! Praise God!!

Dr. Armstrong and (the new) Dr. Arnold-Grine (CONGRATS, dearest Lori!!!!) did a wonderful job, as always. I couldn't help but feel like Christi would have been very proud. Our deepest thanks to all of the generous donors who have donated to the "Christi Thomas Memorial Fund" which is allowing us to give back to others and to present these scholarships in Christi's memory.

The Christi Thomas Scholarship Committee, consisting of five individuals, selected Kyra and Nikki as this year's Heidelberg College scholarship recipients. It was touching and humbling to see these ladies again and to get to meet their parents - who drove great distances to be in attendance. I can only imagine how very proud they must be of their amazing daughters! I know we are!

While the essay/application requirements did not ask how Christi Thomas affected their lives or anything like that we were touched that some of the entries included information about Christi. I’ll share that here:

Nikki and Kyra said that Christi touched their lives forever. They've touched our family too. God bless, Kyra and Nikki! Congratulations, ladies!

After meeting Christi Thomas, I quickly learned that she was a strong, courageous, warm and loving girl. It was obvious that she loved to read and was artistic. As a prospective teacher, I have a thirst to learn and absorb the most information that I can and I strive to be the best at everything I do – like Christi.

Many listed 4H, baby-sitting, cheerleading, theater, and enjoying animals (just like Christi).

As a future teacher, I realize that having an involved family plays a vital role in any child’s life. However, as I sit here and write about what a great family I have, I can’t help but think of how selfish I sound. Christi, too, was blessed with this gift. As much as we hoped and prayed for a different ending, I can’t help but to think of how lucky she was to have such a wonderful family at her side. Trying to imagine her family’s constant sadness and fear would’t do justice. For her, they held those feelings in. As a result, Christi felt safe and loved which in return set her spirit free.

Christi Thomas was more than just an adorable hard-working child; she was a life-force. My roommates and I have placed her photo on our wall of inspiration and another sits on my desk as a reminder of her spirit and love.

Personally, I am thrilled that these scholarships were established in Christ’s name. They will forever ensure that Christi’s character will live on through the recipients.

From a nominator: “Several of Christi’s attributes are also true of this applicant: bright and energetic, showing excitement about her busy live and others gravitating to her. Her devotion to what is important to her and her knowledge is very apparent.”

Christi has impacted hundreds profoundly.

Teaching is helping others to love learning. It’s also a continual learning process for the teacher. Christi was always with a fun fact or joke to share, but more importantly taught others the way to live life to the fullest. She taught us how to love, laugh and smile. She taught us to give to others and to listen. As a teacher I want to pass Christi’s life lessons along to others as they enter my classroom and life.

Through I only met Christi a few times, I remember her high spirits and curious mind. Christi had a unique ability to seek out knowledge and desired to learn more. I giggle every time I read that Christi said she wanted to go to Heidelberg for her first college because I know exactly what she meant. She knew she wanted not only to be an undergraduate student, but go to on and get her masters and then her doctorate. She would attend many colleges because she loved to learn. I too hope to continue my education after my Heidelberg graduation because there is so much more to learn.

One was employed at an animal shelter last summer. When I read that application I felt like Christi was on my shoulder saying, “Vote for that one mom!” Another scholarship committee member told me they placed an angel statue, lit a candle and prayed for God to assist in making the right decision. I appreciate everyone effort and assistance! We are so blessed!

Two inspiring women - Dr. Armstrong and Miss Sara! (Sara, one of my former cheerleaders and former volunteer helpers in my classroom was a babysitter Christi LOVED! Sara received TOP HONORS yesterday and we know Sara will be an AWESOME teacher, hopefully employed close by next fall!) (Dr. Armstrong, an amazing compassionate, brilliant woman who inspires me more than she'll ever know. I'm so blessed to call her colleague and friend)

1 Comments:

At 22/4/07 12:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to Kyra and Nikki! There couldn't be a better scholarship to earn than one of Christi's Scholarships. I'm proud just to be able to donate to such an amazing cause to keep Christi's legacy alive. Shayla looks so adorable and very proud to be there! Those are such precious words spoken about your sweet Christi. I continue to find it amazing how many lives one 9 year old child has touched and forever changed. Stay Strong!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home