Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Oh, Baby!

PICTURE: Christi, sitting in a little chair checking out a book, age almost three.

Due to having a teachers’ meeting in Columbus Friday night, Shayla and I thrilled we were able to catch Traci (aka “Hariett”) at COSI for a bit (where Traci had a scavenger hunt waiting for Shayla to play - amazing!) and then we dropped by to see Jenn’s son. Oh, baby, he’s a sweetie! Before we headed south, I showed Shayla the prayer blanket of Christi’s I deiced to give this wonderful baby. It just seemed really appropriate as so many prayers were lifted up for him for so long. Shayla went to Christi’s bedroom and selected a little beanie baby off of Christi’s bed to give him too. We then stopped at “Baby Gap” on the way and picked up a little outfit to welcome the little joy. He is so cute and I’m thrilled we got to see him for a bit. It was so emotional for me thinking of all that had to take place to get him; we wish for him a long healthy life filled with joy and peace!

Traci spoiled Shayla at “Build a Bear” and at “Claires” while I was at my meeting. Upon my return, we enjoyed a board game. Traci is the most incredible woman. I don't think she'll ever realize how much we love and adore her; she's so special to us.

I’m continuing to struggle with “stomach problems”. My first “attack” was in mid-October when I thought it was food poisoning. I’ve since been to the doctor a couple of times and have some medications, even though I’m theoretically opposed to taking meds and think I should be able to control this with diet. I know my doctor told me increased age and stress are factor. Despite the fact I’m busy it is all by choice now (unlike living with cancer) and I happen to think this busy life is a picnic compared to the stress involved in years of Christi’s care. He believes it’s built up and I was under incredible stress for so long. (I no longer wake up in the middle of the night and run down to her room thinking she died without me by her side. That stress is gone! I think I am so much better, but he's probably right and the damage has been done to my stomach lining.) Since October I’ve had about one “attack” (nausea, a hard, swollen stomach and vomiting) a month; however, they’ve increased in frequency recently. I had one Wednesday night, Thursday night and Saturday afternoon. It always the same pattern, the pain in my stomach – right under my rib cage, is terrible, then the cramping and vomitting begin. I’m not exactly certain what’s up, but I don’t like this recent trend and they come on so strong and so hard, it’s scary. I cry to Shayne as I’m bent over in pain, “I just want to die,” yet I fully realize that my pain is nothing compared to my friend, Lori’s, and also to the countless days Christi didn’t feel so well, yet just wanted to play and be a little girl. I try to think of that and tell myself to just tough it out. I hope things improve.

12 Comments:

At 17/2/08 4:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela i think it sounds like irritable bowel syndrome, which indeed is exacerbated by stress, but is also a genuinely painful condition. Read up about it, there are plenty of non-medical things you can try to help the symptoms. Hope you feel better soon!!

 
At 17/2/08 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela, I'm praying for you...hoping that the source of your stomach pain is found, fully fixed and NEVER felt again. Hang in there.

 
At 17/2/08 8:33 AM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Oh my goodness Angela, I'm so sorry to hear of your stomach issues, that sounds horribly painful.

I hope they are able to get it resolved soon. You are in my prayers.

Congratulations to your friend Jenn on her new baby! How wonderful.

Lots of love and prayers,
Heather

 
At 17/2/08 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela, I'm so sorry about your stomach pain. Will keep you in my prayers & hope it goes away ASAP!

I have two questions.

How is Christi's cell line coming along?

Also being a cat lover as well, how are Christi's two cats (especially Buttercup) doing?

Not a day goes by that I don't think of Christi. She is my hero.

 
At 17/2/08 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela, I'm sorry to hear you've had this going on. It sounds very painful and I hope the pain subsides soon and doesn't get any worse.

Christi looks adorable! I love knowing there's more of her that I've never seen. I love learning/seeing more about her amazing life.

Traci definitely seems like an amazing woman. I've read so much about her through the blog and I can tell she has such a great friendship with your family.

My sister is 8 days overdue with my niece! She's awfully comfy in there but she'll be here on tuesday and I can't wait! It's my first time being an aunt :)

 
At 17/2/08 7:15 PM, Blogger Joanna said...

Angela -
Have them check your gallbladder! My mom had similar symptoms years ago, and her gallbladder was the culprit.
I wish you a quick and full recovery.
Joanna

 
At 17/2/08 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have they considered your gall bladder? It sounds just like my gall bladder attacks which left me lying in a fetal position.

 
At 17/2/08 11:04 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

Oh my goodness, Angela! I hope the pain ends soon-- that sounds horrible.

Please know you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Many, many hugs,
Olivia

 
At 18/2/08 1:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you are having stomach problems. They are miserable. Please don't give up trying to find answers and chalk it all up to stress. Just because you might not be suffering as much as others doesn't mean there isn't a problem. A gastroenterologist might be a good place to start. I hope you feel better soon!

 
At 18/2/08 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have they checked into gall stones? Those are the exact same symptoms I had when I was having problems with mine...makes you just double over in pain...it's terrible!! Maybe suggest that to the Dr...a simple ultrasound will show them if that is the cause.

 
At 18/2/08 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too would suggest that you have them check your gall bladder. I had mine out in August of last year...and your symptoms are exactly as mine were. Also, I had pancreatitus [I am sure I have misspelled here :)] with the gall stones and that is what caused the incredible pain attacks.

Blessings to your sweet family.

 
At 19/2/08 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela, I suffer from irritable bowel syndrom and it sounds like that is what you are going through. Like above comments, it is induced by increased stress. The only thing to do for it is reduce stress and watch diet. I avoid foods such as dairy and certain fruits and veggies and it helps! But again depending where the cramping/pain is it could be a number of things. Praying your health returns to a healthy state!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home