Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Friday, June 20, 2008

Competing in Christi's Memory Tomorrow

Oh, I feel TERRIBLE! I am so mad at myself! I knew this trip to Philly, for Shayne's triathlon and for business, was going to be incredibly quick, but I didn't realize that a sweet woman, named Melissa, and her brave cancer warrior would be so close by. I just learned she was only 20 minutes from Dorney Park and would have met us there. I would have loved meeting her and her precious one in person!!

(PIC: Near Washington's Crossing. We walked over the bridge from Pennsylvania to New Jersey, very cool!)
Shayne had a business meeting all morning, and then a flat tire, but eventually, we made it to the sweet Grant's home. Shayla has been TERRIBLY EXCITED about visiting with them; it's been all she's talked about for the past couple of days. The Grants took very special care of us during our years of treatment in Philly and Shayla grew especially fond of their two girls (the same ages as Christi & Shayla). Mrs. Grant would bring the girls to the hospital to play with Christi and she'll NEVER know how grateful we all were for that. Mr. Grant safely delivered us to and from the Philly Airport to the Ronald House or CHOP, countless times. Christi really missed playing with her friends at home and she absolutely loved making friends with and playing with their beautiful daughters. During tough times, the Grants took Shayla off of our hands. Shayla has really developed a special relationship with them and thanks to email and telephone she has "Philly Friends". So sweet!

The Grants took us to Washington's Crossing late this afternoon. It was very interesting, but I wish I would have prepared for the visit so I could have learned more. It was gorgeous and I hope to study and return one day soon! Next, we went to the most charming little town called "New Hope" for dinner, followed by ice cream. Shayla is overnight with our generous friends while we are in Philly - very tough for us actually, but at 6:30 AM Shayne will be registering for the Philly Triathlon. He's competing on the "CHOP Team" and is racing in Christi's Memory at this fundrasier. While Shayla was entered, it was long before we decided to lease her horse and since she hadn't had any training, we decided it was best to drop out of the race. (We thought her first competition should be a good experience.) When Shayla learned it would be more time with the Grant girls, she said she'd sit out this year from the race. Our alarm is set for 5:30 AM, GOODNIGHT!

Shayla's First Horse Show is just EIGHT days away. I don't know if she'll be ready, but she's really excited! Ironically, our hotel tonight is just a few minutes from "Fairmont Park" where Christi & Shayla rode their first horse in July of 2005, while stranded at the Ronald McDonald House waiting for a scan after the holiday weekend. Wild, just wild. OK, honestly a little sickening too. Being in this city is very, VERY hard!
The little one needs a "leg up" from daddy.
Shay & Skeet
Practicing in the arena.
Shayla's 4H (horse) club has a "Mounted Meeting". There were about 15 horses working in the ring together. This was Shayla's second time to participate WITH Skeeter. Unbelievably, he DID lose another shoe at this meeting. Wild! With horse shoes now costing us $75 a pair, Shayla wants to talk with the guy putting them on to see if he's doing a good enough job, or if he's doing it poorly to make $$. (We had to laugh!)
All lined up while the "judge" evaluates them. (We did go back to the fairgrounds very late at night to see if we could find Skeeter's shoe, but we didn't have any luck!)(Christi, age 8, August 2005)
(PIC: Shayla, August 2005, age 6)

7 Comments:

At 20/6/08 9:33 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

You all continue to amaze me every single day. I can't imagine how hard it is to be in Philly.

GOOD LUCK tomorrow, Shayne.

Loads of love,
Olivia

 
At 21/6/08 7:37 AM, Blogger Mimi said...

Hi, need a little favor…yesterday…my husband and I were talking about Chirsti…(like how we feel like we knew her and how I still look at her web site EVERYDAY) and I was talking about the orbs that used to be in some of your pictures…..my husband says he has never seen anything like that….well last night I sat on the computer for over a hour looking for a picture with an orb in it….all of the pictures that talk about them the picture is gone and only an x is there……is their any way you could send me a picture of an orb in it? One of the dates were around January of 2007 I think when you said not very many orbs any more but her is one over Shayla’s bed I think you were traveling….and I remember in my mind of a picture of your guys all dressed up and there is one in the picture and your mentioned it but couldn’t seem to find it ….was it around Shayla’s first holy communion? I would really appreciate it if you get the time….My name is Cris Peebles of Pataskala Ohio, my email is cpeebles@columbus.rr.com thank you so much….P. S. did you ever tell the secret about your husband? Remember….I thought maybe he lost his job?

 
At 21/6/08 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shayla, don't worry about the horse show (Angela, I understand your worries, I have had them at countless shows – I would pace and pray) but, Shayla, just have fun - my daughter, Stephanie, never worried about winning a ribbon, she just loved the show experience - she did win many ribbons but that was not why she rode - she just loved the experience with her horse - so, keep that in mind when it is time to compete - have fun, smile and enjoy. No matter what the outcome, you will learn something and develop an even stronger relationship with your horse. He will take care of you, just as you take care of him. My daughter’s trainer said that about Stephanie’s first horse, CeCe – a wild thoroughbred chestnut mare – she said “there are many times Stephanie should have fallen off that horse, but CeCe made sure she stayed on her back. She loves Stephanie as much as Stephanie loves that crazy horse.” About those shoes, I have always said that the horses we have had got more shoes than I ever did! They always seem to lose those shoes and at the wrong time but you are right, check on your farrier - some ARE better than others. We have found a good one! Luckily, Stephanie now is a grown up gal and pays for all this herself. Angela, the cost is great sometimes but the rewards are immeasurable. A "leg up" from Dad is always the best way to mount your horse. I would love to scan two photos of Steph – one on CeCe and one on Hank and e-mail them to you, if you would like. Both of her horses are rescues – one from a field (CeCe) and Hank from a racetrack. She is a hardworking, lucky girl. Have fun – and Hug Your Horse! Mary Hussman - St. Louis, MO

 
At 21/6/08 10:20 AM, Blogger Mimi said...

I found the date....Thursday April 26,2007 you wrote....


Shayne and I were incredibly surprised to notice two very interesting "orbs" in our recent pictures. Out of all of the first Holy communion pictures, there is only one orb and as you can see, it is HUGE - and right on Shayla's dress! Interestingly noteworthy, this is when five children were lined up to say certain prayers - including "Today's mass is for Christi Thomas." Wild, eh?! I can't help but think Christi planned it. What a hoot

I know it's alot to ask you to send me a picture....but my husband just doesn't believe me about the orbs....thanks Cris Peebles

 
At 21/6/08 10:29 AM, Blogger Meg said...

I grew up about 10 minutes from Washington's crossing!!! A beautiful area!

 
At 21/6/08 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the Philly area, Thomas family! I am from SE Jersey but am in Philly a lot. New Hope is an awesome town and I'm glad you enjoyed it! Good luck in the triathalon Shayne, and good luck in the horse show Shay!!

 
At 21/6/08 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just arrived back home to Florida from Philly tonight Angela! I hope your trip is as wonderful as mine was! The weather this week was absolutely perfect, wasn't it?
Congratulations on your awesome grades! I thought the story about Shayla wanting you to do your best was so cute! By the way, I received her special thank you note today and tell her it's hanging on my fridge!
Awesome news that there were so many contributions for the Poker Run in Christi's name. Be sure to let us know when we can donate for Shayne's Triathalon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home