Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Fifth Place

We came home to get out of the heat, do some laundry and so I could work on my exam question, before we have to go back and volunteer at the horse show later today. I couldn't resist posting these photos so here they are. Miss Shayla was VERY VERY happy about receiving the pink ribbon. Although she's said over and over, "The fair's about having fun, not winning ribbons," I think she was beyond excited to win a ribbon this morning. Tonight we will attend the demolition derby. When I explained to her what it was she kept saying, "Really? Really? No way! Why would anyone want to do that?!" It reminded me of her exact same reaction earlier this summer when I got a bunch of books from the library to share with her and she learned where babies come from. What a hoot! Boy, I love being a mom! I am so lucky!

(PIC: "Tweety" and "Sylvester" Baby Christi, 1997)
Despite the fact that I have cleaned my camera lens, we noticed a few more "orbs" appearing in some of this morning's photos! We keep telling ourselves it's Christi - she's with us!

Once I decided this morning that this "horse stuff" was more like a pageant than a farm event, I came to realize I actually was enjoying it!
A goodluck kiss from Grandma Nonee.
Shayla looked so pretty today wearing Kelsey's shirt and Traci's hat. We had both tried to talk Shayla out of wearing Traci's hat because it is too big, but Shayla would hear nothing of it. Shayne ended up rolling a bandana around Shayla's head and then putting the hat on top so that it would stay on. It did! Many thanks to Kelsey, Traci, Claire, Kayla, Nicole, and others!
Last minute advise from a sweet, sweet 4-H advisor (Sue).
Showtime. She's on!
Smiling and waiting in the line up. There were eight girls in her division (ages 8-10 / Showmanship).
With a great smile and a look of pride after receiving the fifth place ribbon.
With her "farm hand" helping her hang that ribbon over Skeeter's stall. Shayne's had quite the week thus far taking care of Shayla and Skeeter and working all week too - wow!
A "job well done" hug from grandma Nee Nee. Tomorrow, she's in four events beginning with bare back riding about 9:15 AM. Yes, she loves to ride bare back; it's her favorite!

14 Comments:

At 22/7/08 12:10 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

5th Place!!!!!!!! That is excellent! Way to go Shayla ... it looks like you had a wonderful time and it is obvious by everyone around you that they are so proud of you ... love all the smiles in the photos ... and of course Little Christi is the icing on the cake ... and the orbs are wonderful to see as well! She is always there ...

Rebekah and Family

 
At 22/7/08 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW look at all the orbs :) Good Luck Shayla Have fun at the fair we will be at the derby tonight as well :)

 
At 22/7/08 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well what can i say ? SHAYLA YOU ARE SIMPLY FANTASTIC - I know this sounds weird but I feel so proud of Shayla ! Well done on getting 5th place - You certainly deserved it , You worked so hard for it and your costume was amazing ! Angela I treasured them photos of both shayla and Christi - They were just magnificent ! Skeeter well isn't he just the greatest horse ever - Skeeter and Shayla are obviously well suited for each other ! I'm just picturing shayla's reaction to being told where baby's come from right now ! haha - You've gotta laugh !

Lots of love,laughs,thoughts and prayers being shipped your way - Amber xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 
At 22/7/08 1:42 PM, Blogger Vickie said...

I think you are exactly right about horse show pageantry. Shayla's smile says it all!

Good luck on your next questions.

VB
erinbuenger.blogspot.com

 
At 22/7/08 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS, SHAYLA - Way to go! Yes, you are right, the horse shows aren't about the ribbons but they sure do feel good to receive - you are so much like my daughter when she was your age - and the orbs....I am sure they are Christi and if she brought some friend, I can't help but think one of them is our Angel Jessica - she loved horses here, had one of her own - a big black boy named Tiszon, she rode with my daughter, spent many hours in the barn with my daughter and I can just imagine how much fun and how perfect God's stables are now that Jessica has been there to help for almost three years now. Remember, Shayla, Hug Your Horse!!! Mary H. - St. Louis

 
At 22/7/08 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SHAYLA!!!!! OH MY GOODNESS! CONGRATULATIONS, YOU ARE SUCH A WEE STAR!! I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!!

Aren't horse shows such fun?? Best of luck tomorrow, but I know you'll do great!!

 
At 22/7/08 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done, Shayla! Well done, indeed!
Angela, you're an inspriation to so many. My friend Eileen and I were just talking about this very thing, not even an hour ago. We both read your blog daily and through it, are reminded of what is precious in life and should be appreciated. We both always say we love our kids even more BECAUSE of Christi and what she went through. We both love reading what Shayla is up to, and in seeing her growing up before our eyes and doing all these fun things in her life. Please know, Christi will NEVER be forgotten -- and SHE and YOU have made such a difference for so many!

 
At 22/7/08 6:22 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

Thank you so much for sharing these pictures and CONGRATULATIONS, Shayla!!!

I have no doubt that Christi was there with you and so very proud of her sister.

 
At 22/7/08 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!!thats alot of ORBs..... Im happy that Christi is by all of your sides...

 
At 22/7/08 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Shayla!! I'm not sure why, but I actually got teary eyes reading this and looking at your pictures! Amazing how you can be so proud of someone you've never even met! (well, never physically met-with mom's posts, we all feel like you're family!! :-)

Pat in CA

 
At 23/7/08 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful girl! I love your blog it makes me feel like I know you all. I don't think I've ever left a message before but please know you are all in my thoughts and prayers daily, with extra ones for your beautiful Christi! Your family is so lucky to have such a wonderful Mom and wife! I think I was compelled to write when I saw Shayla's number '173', it my lucky number! Congrats to Shayla!!!

~~MJ~~

 
At 23/7/08 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so awesome Shayla! Congratulations sweetie. That looks like so much fun & YOU ARE TOO ADORABLE. The hat looks great too!

Debbie Pyszka
Lebanon, IL

 
At 23/7/08 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great to see Shayla looking so happy! It sounds like the 4-H programme has been very fruitful for her.

I cracked up when I read about what she said when you explained the "facts of life" - hilarious! May she always be able to turn to you as she grows up to talk about becoming a woman, and boys. I'm sure she'll find not having Christi around so tough - but it's great to think that there is an angel in heaven who is watching out for her and hoping that she makes sensible decisions!

Irene x

 
At 23/7/08 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great to see Shayla looking so happy! It sounds like the 4-H programme has been very fruitful for her.

I cracked up when I read about what she said when you explained the "facts of life" - hilarious! May she always be able to turn to you as she grows up to talk about becoming a woman, and boys. I'm sure she'll find not having Christi around so tough - but it's great to think that there is an angel in heaven who is watching out for her and hoping that she makes sensible decisions!

Irene x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home