Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

9 1/2

I've never been a mom to a 9 1/2 year old before, but with little Shayla - I am now! She had a nice little "party" at Grandma and Paw Paw's. I bought a little $3.00 cupcake dog she loved and we sang her a happy 1/2 birthday.

The second new discovery was disconfirmed by my good friend, Lori, who stopped over to visit yesterday. I had thought Claire told me out at the barn that their white horse, Smokey, the one Lori's daughter walked as the "Riderless Horse" at Christi's funeral, was also used for her horse drawn carriage/hearse. Well, I must have misunderstood my conversation with Claire, as Lori told me the hearse people brought their own horse so sorry I don't have a 2nd discovery like I thought. I guess I'll have to share a new "Christi Posted Picture" here instead. (hee hee) (PICTURE: end of August 2002. Later, Linda, the gal who always took the girls' pictures told me she didn't think Christi acted like her usual self this day. The photos came out great, but she didn't have her usual spunk. I really did not notice anything wrong. By the end of the next week, she was in the hospital.)

(PIC: Shayla's last half birthday with Christi, 7 1/2, August 12, 2006)


(PIC: What started it all: Christi's 5 1/2 birthday. I was so afraid she wouldn't see "Six" that we made her 5 1/2 special!) Stress is high here! I'm certain my upcoming exams are playing a huge role; however, what I've tried to avoid thinking about all summer really kicked in last night. I will have to teach Christi's classmates and not her. I cried myself to sleep. I know I'll do it and it'll be fine, I guess I am just going to have to "suck it up". (The same exact thing I told Christi to do as a five year old when she complained before her very first day of school that she didn't feel well. Shayne was out of town and I had no idea there was a tumor in her little body.) I'd always wanted to be her school teacher; this year should have been my chance as she would have been in the 7th grade. Ergh!
Shayla, you will never know the joy you bring us - thank God for you!

6 Comments:

At 13/8/08 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look like you had an awesome day Shayla.

Angela I have picture request. Could you share Christi's halfbirthday pictures if you get time?

Tatiana

 
At 13/8/08 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont know if this helps your heart, but when a very close friend of mine lost her daughter, I walked into the funeral home expecting to see a broken woman... and instead she said words to me that echoed so profoundly that I never forgot them.

She said, "As much as my arms miss her, I take great comfort in knowing that she is now with the ONLY person who could ever love her more than me."

A mother's love is infinite, and yet God's is stronger. You KNOW how well you took care of her... Just IMAGINE how spoiled rotten she is in God's house!

Oh, and as a fellow teacher, I just wanted to offer this: While teaching Christi's classmates may seem to be an unbearable burden, it might also be the BEST link to her you will have b/c I think if Christi can send you messages, she'll do it through her old friends and their actions/behaviors/words. To let you know she is there.

I'd be excited for the signs to begin!

KP
Toledo, OH
kmlindberg@yahoo.com

 
At 13/8/08 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful picture of the two girls and those great flowers.

You are coming right up on the beginning of the school year, and I am sure you will do just fine....there will be moments, but there are always moments:)

 
At 13/8/08 7:30 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

I am so glad you had such a nice day, Shayla. You certainly deserve it.

Thinking of you all so much these days. I know it can't be easy.

Many, many hugs,
Olivia

 
At 13/8/08 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, Angela -- seeing those pictures of Christi and knowing you'll never be her teacher just breaks my heart and puts tears in my eyes. Try to look at it this way, you were her teacher for all those (too short) years on this earth. She learned so much from you, which no doubt made her the special girl she was. I know it's not the same as having her in your classroom and it's okay to mourn that -- I guess I'm just feeling so bad I'm trying to find the bright side in all of this.
As for sweet Shayla, doesn't she just look adorable celebrating her 9 1/2 birthday! Happy Birthday Shayla!!! I have a hunch she knows how much joy she brings you and Shayne. She's a very smart girl!

 
At 13/8/08 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy belated 1/2 birthday, Shayla! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home