Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Monday, August 18, 2008

Heidelberg

Our family is still in awe that Heidelberg College placed a plaque commemorating Christi's life on their campus. I am sure we will always be! We drive by it at least three times a week. Sometimes we wave, sometimes I salute thinking Christi would find that amusing, but almost always making a Christi comment or sharing a "how nice of Heidelberg" thought out loud.
My friend Lori put a beautiful yellow ribbon around the tree last year. Over time, I watched the ribbon fade and never thought I could actually take charge, buy a new ribbon and change it. It just hit me last week that I could do that and no one would mind. So we did! When I told Lori what we did she told me that she didn't have the heart take the take other one down, but she noticed it needed "sprucing up" too. After we changed the ribbon, we went to the park where I read to Shayla. I thought that was "Christi Appropriate".
(PIC: September 2005. Christi in Dr. Lori's class, appearing to me like she is trying to make them laugh, but those education majors are way too serious. Perhaps they "get it" and Christi didn't. I'll never know.) Lori told me that some of her students have asked when they will get to have the lemonade stand. I was totally caught off guard. I told her that I didn't think they would do that anymore and if they didn't that was totally fine. It really never crossed my mind even thinking they'd do that. She wondered if I could attend, but of course being a teacher, I cannot; however, I offered Shayla. If it works out, I think that would be a nice way for Shayla to celebrate her sister's life and work and to hopefully gain some responsibility of the need of doing community service and helping others. I know a lot of Christi's "work" she was too young to remember. I've very thankful I've kept this journal so that she will know later and hopefully continue on throughout her life.

1 Comments:

At 19/8/08 7:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And thanks for keeping this journal updated. I keep checking everyday, but I never what to say, but I have to say in the second picture I thought 'Is this really Shayla?' And it is. I can't believe how much she has grown in the past years.
You are always in my thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home