Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Open House

There's no way I can do this one tonight! Thankfully, Shayne will take Shayla to the elementary Open House. Emotionally, I'm not there; plus, I need to leave very early in the morning for Columbus for my exams, I have not been sleeping well, and I just want to stay at home, review and "chill" - not get myself worked up emotionally, right before my orals.
I was pleasantly surprised a couple of weeks ago when Shayla asked if she could use Christi's blue book bag for fourth grade. I could have cared less about paying for a new one, but what thrilled me was that she wanted Christi's 4th grade book bag for her 4th grade year too! In Christi's cursive written on the inside is "Christi Thomas," just the way she wrote it with "hearts" to dot the i's. It's beautiful!
Shayla is happy to have Mrs. Turco (The same teacher Christi had and a good friend). She recently told me, "Isn't it neat she used to babysit me when you had to be with Christi and now she's going to be my teacher? Remember when she took me trick-or-treating because Christi couldn't go out? Her husband let me ride on his lap on his wheelchair when they took me to the zoo." She did not remember this day (picture) when she got to go with Caroline and Kristen to a pumpkin farm after school. And since Shayne had her in 4th grade and has always said that she was his favorite teacher, we are pretty pleased too! I pray she has a wonderful year, unlike Christi's 4th grade one which started out great, but took a dive due to her health. Sweet Teacher Caroline did fly out and deliver Christi's grade card to her in the hospital though - so sweet.
Christi was unable to attend her Open House when she was 8 and going into Mrs. Smith's 4th grade because I had to fly with her to Philadelphia. Caroline told us when she'd be at school and I took Christi up another time to organize her desk and feel like she had her "Open House" too. She was feeling great then, but it was the start of the downfall. She'd really only attend the first part of fourth grade with "all hell breaking loose" the second semester.
When Christi started fifth grade, she was so excited on Open House night - meeting her new teacher and getting her desk all set up. To me, it's soooooo sad that she only attended for four days and that was it. The kid loved school! It seems like all that was yesterday and I think that's why I cannot possibly talk myself into going tonight. I also keep being haunted with what she told me during that horrific last week in Philly about open house night; it hurts. She told me something like, "Mom, it was just so hard to give away that one beaded key chain. I really liked that one." (One of the elementary schools had closed so to make the new girls welcome, Christi made each one a beaded gift from a little kit. She worked so hard on those knowing it'd be hard to move to a new school. When she told me that in Philly, it was so hard not to cry. Of course, now I don't have to hide my tears from her and I do!)
I am really dreading starting school. I sometimes just picture looking out into my students' faces and bursting into tears. May God give me strength to put on my best acting skills and do what I need to do this year. My students deserve that! They really are great kids; Christi was so lucky to have wonderful friends and classmates! I just wish she could be with them too!

14 Comments:

At 19/8/08 7:43 AM, Blogger Sheila Ferrell said...

Angela,
Just letting you know that many, many of us are still here, praying for you and your family. I have a new tattoo on my left calf that is a rose with the yellow childhood cancer ribbon wrapped around it. Inside the ribbon is my two sons names, Joshua and Cody (crossing at the "o" since I believe all the cancer warriors are fighting for every single one of our kids.) There is also 2 butterflies dancing above the rose, one of which is in memory of Christi. The other is the same butterfly I used in the logo of the retreat that I gave a talk that Christi was in. The flight path of the butterflies are actually words-BELIEVE (for sweet baby Kayla Weber who passed of NB at 15 months) KISS (for Kennedy - recently NED from Osteosarcoma) DANCE (for Christi and Shelby Rodriguez, AML angel) and PRINCESS (a very dear friend of mine calls me Princess Sheila and it is to honor our friendship.)
Christi will always, always remain in my heart.

 
At 19/8/08 8:07 AM, Blogger Olivia said...

What beautiful pictures you've shared of Christi. I absolutely love them. Her bookbag breaks my heart; how sweet to see her signature there.

I can't even begin to imagine how hard these days must be for you. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers every day.

Much love & many hugs,
Olivia

 
At 19/8/08 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect.
2 Samuel 22:23
Praying for you this school year may God truly give you strength and comfort.
God Bless,Jennifer

 
At 19/8/08 2:09 PM, Blogger Lyndsay said...

Good luck tomorrow!!! I'm sure you'll do great.

 
At 19/8/08 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela, I know you have mentioned that story about the key chain before, it always brings tears to my eyes. What a generous little girl.

I have no doubt her fighting spirit will be with you in the morning. I hope that it goes very well for you and (even though we have never met!) I will be so proud for you either way - it's amazing that you have travelled this far.

Irene

 
At 19/8/08 6:48 PM, Blogger Paula said...

Angela the best of luck to you tomorrow. From all I've read, you will do just great!! Paula

 
At 19/8/08 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a joy it will be for you to see how Christi's friends have matured.

Some of those kiddos are experiencing some strange feelings, too, knowing that all of you are missing Christi.

You undoubtedly will lose it once - then, the fear of it happening will be over and y'all will have a great year.

 
At 19/8/08 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck tomorrow - I will be thinking of you and say a prayer or two - although I am sure a sweet angel will be on your shoulder. Also, I hope you don't take this the wrong way - I don't know how else to say it, but after the sheer hell you went through with Christi, anything else should seem easy! Orals = no problem.
Good Luck!
A Christi Fan

Trish
Ohio

 
At 19/8/08 8:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Angela,
My thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time of year! I know exactly how you feel! Ryan also only went to school for 4 days before his death, but of his 4th grade year. Ashley is now in 5th grade and it is all new. It's hard to know that we haven't done 5th grade "things" before, knowing we should have.
I know it will be hard to see all those friends of Christi. But....maybe if you look at it as I do, it may help....
I just always try to think that when those kids see me, they think of Ryan. That way I know his memory is being kept alive in their minds and hearts. I hope that may bring you some comfort.
Think too, how hard it must be for them to see you...knowing how much you miss dear Christi.
I will definitely say a little prayer for you...may you have strength to get you through these first few days of school and beyond...and also for your exams! Good luck to you in both respects!
We still need to get together sometime!
Take care and God bless!
Christie

 
At 20/8/08 2:14 AM, Blogger Leece said...

It's Wednesday morning and I'm thinking of you...you'll do GREAT! Love and prayers - cant wait for the next update.

 
At 20/8/08 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Angela,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm praying you'll be inspired with the right information for your orals today.

A big thank you for maintaining this blog which is a constant reminder to all of us 'Thomas Team followers' on how to value each day, be grateful for our health and to be inspired by your educational achievements and love of learning. You are an inspiration.

God Bless you and your family.

 
At 20/8/08 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angela, Just had to let you know that I'm thinking of you lots at the moment - especially today. I know Christi will be with you spurring you on in her own special way. Love to you, Shayne & Shayla and big hugs sent heavenwards to Angel Christi who is as big a part of my life now as she ever was - still teaching life's important lessons. Nicky, Lake District, England xxxxxx

 
At 20/8/08 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your class is going to look at you and see why Christie was so special because she had a wonderful Mom to guide her and you'll be there to guide your class too. I'm sure you'll have lots of reflective moments but I feel that you will be okay and the first day will be your hardest and then you'll consume yourself into being their favorite teacher.
Best wishes for a great school year.
A faithful follower of your website

 
At 20/8/08 9:31 PM, Blogger Mama Bear said...

Been thinking about you today and hoping your exams went well. Though I started reading your blog years ago, I still come back every day I can to see how your lovely family is doing. Shayla is becoming quite a beautiful young lady. I'm sure you will do fine on the exams and will get your well deserved PhD. Please keep us posted on your progress.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home