Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

First Place in the Baking Contest

When I saw "Marty's Cell" ring on my cell phone during the OSU game Saturday, my heart fell and I quickly figured something was wrong. I was soon relieved to hear that Shayla had some very exciting news. When we dropped Shayla off Friday on our way to Columbus, Marty told me she was going to have Shayla make an apple pie again this Saturday and they were going to enter it at a festival, but I never thought any more about it. Imagine my surprise when Shayla said, "I won first place in the baking contest with my apple pie!" That was really cool I thought, but then she added, "I got $50.00!" and I was shocked!! That was a HUGE help with her savings for her wii game. She's only about $44.00 shy now. (When you're doing chores for quarters at a time, it takes a while and I think it's a FABULOUS lesson!)
There were six entries in the competition and here Shayla is with the second place winner. She was the only "kid" and Aunt Marty insists, with the exception of paring the apples which Uncle Jeff did, Shayla really did it all.
Grandma Nonee and Paw Paw Joe went to the festival with Aunt Marty and Uncle Jeff and it looks like they all had a grand time!

If every child in the world was a loved as Shayla is, what a glorious world this would be!

Aunt Marty has used this recipe since she was in high school (must have been about 2005 perhaps, hee hee. She has so much energy!). I probably shouldn't give away Marty's "secret", but she felt the strategy would be for Shayla to use a homemade crust and to deliver her pie to the judges while it was still warm. Gotta love that Aunt Marty!!!

Apple Crumb Pie
By Shayla Thomas age 9 ½


Pie Crust
1/3 c. shortening
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 T. of water
Mix first 3 ingredients together until crumbly. Add water and stir with a fork just until mixed.
Roll out and put in pie dish.

Pie Filling
4 to 5 large baking apples
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
¾ cup flour
1/3 cup butter

Pare apples. Cut in eights and arrange in pastry lined pie dish. Sprinkle apples with ½ cup sugar and 1 tsp of cinnamon mixed. Mix 1 cup flour, ½ cup sugar, and 1/3 cup butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over apples. Bake in a hot oven at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Then lower oven to 350 degrees and bake for another 40 to 50 minutes until tender and bubbling.


There was also a lot of horse riding going on back at "the ranch". Once again Marty and Shayla competed against each other in the "trail division" where they set up a variety of obstacles they each had to take a horse over. This time Paw Paw was the judge. Of course he wasn't bias (cough, cough). No one was surprised (except Shayla) when she once again won First Place in the family horse competition! (wink) And gee how this would all be so different if Christi were alive! I'm thinking there would be TWO first places, smile, or maybe she would have always been the judge.

We spent Sunday bike riding with Marty and Jeff. They also took us to an Equine Rescue Center which was fascinating to tour. The Humane Society has about 25 horses they rescued or which were dropped off. It really was interesting. Shayla was so glad to know the horses were alive, getting proper care and not being made into dog food. I know Shayla wishes she lived closer so she could volunteer there.

Shayla cracked me up when she told me she learned something really surprising on Saturday that no one ever told her before. She said, "Did you know Aunt Marty and Grandma Nonee are sisters?!" (I can just see Christi looking at me like, "Mom!") Two days later, I'm still laughing! Love ya, Shayla! I told her, "Can you believe Grandma trusted her sister, who was only 15, to be my Godmother?! Isn't it neat we picked her to be your Godmother too?!" Shayla assured me we made a great choice. (PIC: Shayla's Great Aunt Marty holding her in the hospital for the very first time. Feb. 12, 1999)

16 Comments:

At 30/9/08 6:22 AM, Blogger Olivia said...

Oh wow! Congrats, Shayla on BOTH your wins (smile!)

We're always looking for new apple recipes here at home so thanks so much for sharing yours. I can't wait to try it!

Many hugs,
Olivia

 
At 30/9/08 6:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAYYYY SHAYLA!!! Congrats!!

 
At 30/9/08 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loving Shayla's sweet smile...what a wonderful family.

Warmest wishes for always!!

Shirley
NJ

 
At 30/9/08 10:00 AM, Blogger Rebekah said...

WAY TO GO Shayla ... WHOO HOO! 1st Place and 44 bucks from your Wii goal!! WOW! Thanks for the award winning recipe too ... we made pies last weekend but might have to make some more this weekend with a gold medal recipe! Oh and I love your choise for glasses ... tres chic!

Have a great day!

Rebekah and Jaden - Prior Lake, MN

 
At 30/9/08 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SHAYLA! Oh my goodness! First place in the baking contest AND the horse show!! HUGE CONGRATULATIONS!!

 
At 30/9/08 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WELL DONE SHAYLA ! I can almost taste that wonderful apple pie that you made x Keep up the good work ! love you lots - Amber(england) xxx

 
At 30/9/08 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Miss Shayla! You are just such a beautiful girl. The picture of you and your Nonee is such a good picture. I called my grandma Nonee also. I have some great memories of her as I am sure you are making now. You certainly are blessed with great parents and extended family.

 
At 30/9/08 6:21 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Congrats Shayla! Your apple pie looks delicious!

 
At 30/9/08 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Congrats Shayla! Your pie looks very yummy! I'm glad that $50
prize brought you a lot closer to your Wii game. I've played some of the Wii sports games and it's really fun.

I'm late on my glasses vote but I pick C!

 
At 1/10/08 6:50 AM, Blogger Mum2twopreciousgifts said...

Go Shayla! Heartiest congraulations on your baking efforts. What a clever girl you are. I hate cooking and would never, ever win an award for anything food related I prepared and I'm nearly 4 times your age!! Congratulations to Aunt Marty and Uncle Jeff for their support with your baking. Thanks for sharing your terrific achievement with us. Good night from Australia...Michelle

 
At 1/10/08 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Shayla! I've been been reading your blog for about 3 years now and I love to hear about all the things you're accomplishing. I make the same pie (minus the homemade crust. Haha! So I'm sure your's ios better) for years! My family loves the pie and no wonder you won the baking contest! Congratulations!
-Tara in Virginia Beach

 
At 1/10/08 2:16 PM, Blogger Kat said...

I haven't posted on your blog very many times but you can bet I check it very often! Christi just captivated my heart and I miss her as if I knew her personally. And I just wanted to tell you today that Miss Shayla has captured my heart in a huge way!!! Oh my that girl is awesome! What a wonderful family you have, you raised two feisty and caring daughters. Even in the midst of battling cancer and all of the struggles that come with the battle, and now your own heartache of losing your sweet CT, the two of you have persevered and always made sure that precious Shayla was made to feel secure, loved, special, and doted on. Well, she definitely is! And can I just say that she is becoming an absolute beauty?!? She and her sister are sooooo pretty! I know Christi will watch over Shayla each and every day of Shayla's life and guide her. And I know she is very, very proud of her little sister!!! And of Mom and Dad, too. You guys ROCK! I will continue to look forward to seeing what Shayla's up to every day. Man, that girl is always on the go, and always with a gorgeous smile!!! Thanks for letting me share my feelings. Please know your family is always in my heart and in my prayers.

 
At 1/10/08 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Shayla! I've been out of town and missed lots of news from the Thomas team! I love your eyeglasses, they look adorable on you!

 
At 1/10/08 6:24 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Congratulations Shayla!! Great job!! I bet the pie was wonderful!! :) I love warm apple pie myself- with cinnamion Graters ice cream. :)

Lots of love,
Heather

 
At 2/10/08 4:54 PM, Blogger Holly said...

Shayla! That pie looks great! You managed to do both - have a pie that LOOKS great AND TASTES great! Sometimes mine look like a truck ran over them, or they were set on fire! haha I am going to try that recipe. You are surrounded by so much love, that must be why you are such a sweet, loving girl!

Congratulations on winning the pie contest,
Love Holly in Katy TX

 
At 4/10/08 2:20 PM, Blogger Aimee Jackson said...

Congratulations Shayla! Now you are making me hungry for apple pie. We are going apple-picking tomorrow! Maybe I'll give it a shot.

I think it is wonderful that you are so close to getting that Wii. Maybe you can sell some of those yummy looking pies! Around here, a nice home-baked apple pie can go for $15.00-20.00!

Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home