Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Sunday, October 19, 2008

All's Well

(PIC: Shayla with a wrangler on a cattle drive today.) I hadn't realized it'd been a week since I last updated. All is fine; we've just been busy.....working and playing.....OK, much more playing than working (smile). Shayne picked Shayla up from school at 9AM on Friday and they went to Aunt Marty and Uncle Jeff's to help load the horses. Next they were off to the destination they'd been waiting for since August - SMOKE RISE DUDE RANCH AND RESORT. (I'm still trying to figure out the "resort" part, but.......it definitely met every expectation I had of a dude ranch! This place was so cool - four hours from home down in southeastern Ohio.)

I wasn't exactly anxious to go spend the weekend in a "rustic cabin" without a bathroom and eating by campfire, so I joined them on Saturday. Aunt Marty was so sweet she said to me, "I know this isn't exactly your cup of tea, but you're such a good sport to do this with your family." I really had a fabulous weekend. I would never have gone alone, but to be with my awesome family was glorious! I love them so much and I kept telling myself not to wonder about what Christi would be doing and how much she would have loved this place. I tried to focus on all the fun and there was plenty of that!

Shayla was in all her glory and had the best weekend possible. I'm exhausted so I'll most likely share additional pictures later, but I must upload this video tonight as I think Aunt Marty and my mom want to see Shayla lope. This is like a cantor, I think. It's not a walk or a trot but the next speed. Shayla's never been able to do it before, but when she entered the "Extreme Cowboy Contest" this afternoon, she got "Pickles" - the horse we rented for her at the ranch this weekend to lope THREE times! She was so proud of herself, and we were so proud of her too! She also sat on a Belgian Draft Horse for the first time, spent time with the Equine Dentist who worked on Aunt Marty's horses' teeth, had lessons with amazing riding instructors, went on a cattle drive and three trail rides.
I also had a lesson, but I'm positive I did not receive a passing grade. When I complained to the instructor this morning that although the six hours in the saddle were lovely, my back, neck and bottom were killing me she told me that is because I was too stiff. I have to relax on the horse. (Ha! Me? I have so much more respect for all Shayla does with her weekly horse lessons now that I have had one lesson myself. Notice the "orb". I think Christi was trying to comfort me, knowing how scared I am around those horses!)

7 Comments:

At 19/10/08 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like the perfect weekend at the Ranch!! Love that Shayla had such a wonderful time!

 
At 20/10/08 6:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hands down, the Thomas team is the family who has the most fun together! Shayla looks like she was in her glory, being around all the horses on the dude ranch. Glad all is well and that y'all were having a great time!

 
At 20/10/08 8:13 AM, Blogger Olivia said...

I am so glad you had a nice weekend! It certainly sounds like you did a lot! The dude ranch sounds like it was amazing. I'm not sure I could have dealt with the whole no bathroom situation; you're a trooper, Angela!

The orb is so special. I have no doubt Christi was there with you!

Love,
Olivia

 
At 20/10/08 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually counted 5 orbs! She must have brought along some friends! how awesome! Don't post often but have been checking in on you all for many many years now! Great job with loping Shayla!
Kate B.
Rock Hill, South Carolina

 
At 20/10/08 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was starting to get really worried about you all because it had been so long since you posted ! glad you are all ok , sounds like you all had a blast - Shayla needs things like that to take her mind of off christi not being there 4 her to play with. Lots of love
Amber
xxx

 
At 20/10/08 3:07 PM, Blogger HeatherB said...

Sounds like a fun weekend Angela! I'm not much of a camper myself so I understand that!

 
At 21/10/08 8:29 AM, Blogger Jenny from Live To Ride said...

Angie and I enjoyed the Thomas so much over the weekend at Smoke Rise Ranch! Angela was quite the trooper never once complaining of the saddle time! I think Shane could be a real cowboy and Shayla...well? She is a natural! I hope to root her on for Quarter Horse Congress Queen someday! When we asked everyone to introduce themselves at our clinic, she proudly stated: "I am Shayla Marie Thomas" and then she shared all about her 4-H ribbons and experience! She blossomed more in her riding this weekend and became more confident knowing that she can have the horse respond to her cues! At first she would say, I can't get Pickles to do "x." Once she realized she could, she couldn't get enough of trotting and playing in the woods! We wish this awesome family the best! Love, Jenny at Live To Ride!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home