Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Sunday, November 23, 2008

2008 Big Ten Champions

Thanks tons for the lovely birthday messages! Too sweet! I had a great day and was especially touched by an after school phone call I received from the Grants of Philadelphia when we stopped by home to change Shayla into her dance outfit for lessons. All four of the Grants were on the phone singing Happy Birthday! I absolutely couldn't believe it. When we met up with Shayne that night so that he could go along to watch Shayla's ice skating lesson and to take me out for pizza for my birthday, he just smiled and shook his head. They are too kind! The next day I received their package for my 29th again, birthday - three huge boxes of "Tasty Cakes" - only available in the Philly area. (PIC: One of the many times Mrs. Grant brought her two girls to the hospital to play with Christi. In this instance, Mrs. Turco was there and Shayla too. May 2006 at CHOP. I just thought their little butts (Shayla, Celie & Christi) playing "Twister" were so cute!)
On my birthday, 2004, I had parent/teacher conferences until 8PM. Shayne was home with them and when I came home I had quite the treat! Christi (age 7) made this amazing gift of pottery for me.
What sweeties!

I think Christi may have given me a very special birthday present this year too! As we drove out of our driveway on our way to school, Shayla and I noticed a lovely sunrise - orange and yellow. When we turned on the next road (about 2 minutes later) the sunrise colors had completely changed! They were pink and purple! I don't believe I ever noticed a sunrise with colors changing so rapidly before. We decided Christi must have been up early working on that great present for my birthday present. Thank you, Christi!
(Check out Christi's binoculars and Shayla's "binky". What a hoot!) Mom and Joe are now home from their trip to Sedona, Arizona and my mom had a wonderful birthday. Sedona is an absolutely beautiful area we've been blessed to visit a few times. On our last trip there, the girls were 1 and 3 and I said, "If we ever have another baby girl, we are naming her Sedona in honor of this gorgeous area." Well, unfortunately, another baby never came along as when we were deciding if we should have a third child or not, Christi was diagnosed with cancer and we knew we couldn't possibly take care of another child when we felt we needed to put everything into taking care of Christi instead. Do I have regrets? Certainly. I continue to think the most horrific part of Christi's death for Shayla is that she no longer has a sibling here on earth. I can't imagine how terrible that must be. I find myself no longer calling Tina, "my sister", in front of Shayla and only saying, "Aunt Tina" instead of "my sister" as not to hurt Shayla's feelings realizing she'll not grow up and get invited to her sister's home, nor have nieces and nephews to spoil.

Shayla received PLENTY of spoiling herself yesterday at Aunt Marty and Uncle Jeff's home. We dropped her off at 9AM on our way to Columbus for the big rival game between Ohio State & the University of Michigan. Again Shayne reminded me that we could sell our tickets and find a nice warm restaurant to watch the game, but I would hear non of that (except when we got to our seats and learned the people next to us paid $370 a ticket for their tickets they bought on Ebay and thoughts of $700 and a warm hamburger were floating in my head, hee hee). Seriously, I knew that I would most likely never have the opportunity to attend a OSU/Michigan game in the shoe ever again so I had to be there, despite the fact it never even reached 30 degrees. Brrrrrrrr!

Because one of the last DVDs Christi watched (and loved so much) was "High School Musical" Shayne and I get pretty emotionally when we hear songs from that movie. Shayla, of course at this age, loves it. Therefore, we asked Marty to take her to see "High School Musical III" at the movie theatre yesterday and she did. Whew, for us, we dodged that bullet! Last night, upon arriving back at their home, she put in an old video I found in her basement when we were pulling out Christmas decorations (so Shayla could set up her Dickens Village home, see what I mean about spoiled?!) The video showed the first ten days of Baby Christi's life. We did ok! I think perhaps because that was SOOOOOOOO long ago, we were "ok" emotionally. I have no desire to watch the last six months of her life - as that was horrific - but seeing newborn Christi was very interesting. Shayla said, "It's neat to see what people looked like before I was born!" Check out Shayne's glasses as that was before he had the lasix surgery shortly before Christi was diagnosed.


Well, we WERE the 2008 Big Ten Champions for about six hours, before Ohio State had to share the title with Penn State to become Co-Champions of the Big Ten! Shayne thought I ought to take a picture of the "2008 Big Ten Champs" sign quickly as the fans stormed the field and as he thought Penn State would stomp Michigan State, and they did. Goodluck at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California Penn State! That's a game I'm looking forward to watching already! If it can't be the Buckeyes, gooooooo, PSU!

I thought of Shane Rezmer constantly during the game. He fought the beast of neuroblastoma, IV for ten years. He was a huge Michigan fan. I had these photos taken in his honor, with the Michigan band section and with the big "M" the Michigan band performed at halftime.
If I could have traded placed with Shane I would have done so without any hesitation! (I doubt it's freezing in Heaven!) You are terribly missed by all, dear Shane! http://www.caringbridge.org/mi/shanerezmer/

Mrs. Smith (Now Mrs. Turco - Shayla's teacher) took this picture of Theresa, Christi and Kaylyn when they were in her 4th grade class. Now two of the three are in two of my classes. How I wish they could all three still be together at school. Those were great times!)

8 Comments:

At 23/11/08 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can sympathize with you with the fact that I was at an absolutely freezing football game yesterday too. It was our high school championships and I'm in the marching band. I believe with the wind child it was only about 13 degrees or so. There was snow at one point. People's instruments froze over and we're able to play and everyone was absolutely freezing and miserable. The only clothes you can wear have to fit under your uniform, and that's not enough. I've never been so cold in my life! My finger tips and toes still hurt from them being so cold!

- Micaela

 
At 23/11/08 12:08 PM, Blogger Aimee Jackson said...

Happy Birthday Angela. I'm glad Christi's spirit remains close and makes herself known to you. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures. Many blessings to you and your family.

 
At 23/11/08 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have followed your amazing story for over 4 years, you all are inspirarations to all of us with special kids.
Over the years, many times, you have written how Shayla will never have a sibling. Is this something that can never happen? You and Shane are such wonderful parents, I was just wondering.
Have a wonderful Holiday Season!!

 
At 23/11/08 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We were just as cold in those seats at Beaver Stadium Angela! I couldn't think of anyone better to share that championship with! And if I can convince Victor, maybe we can watch Penn State together in CA! love you much! xoxo Sylvia

 
At 23/11/08 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow angela !!! -I'm sure that theresa and Kaylyn are both missing Christi and want her back by their sides ! Angela what a cool gift Christi gave you for your birthday ! I simply cannot imagine you with a 3rd child - Surreal !!! it saddens me so much to think that Beautiful little Shayla will never as you say have a sister on earth to call upon when she's older nor will she have nieces and nefus to spoil rotten !-Poor , Poor Shane yet another neuroblastoma victim taken too soon , Angela whilst we are talking about nb victims I have a question !!!!!I was wondering if you could put a post on Christi's blog about a very special little girl , who we met in the hospital just after my sister was diagnosed with leukaemia !,Mia was called home at the age of 3 from the same deadly disease as christi battled- neuroblastoma stage 4 - Evil thing! Mia's mum is doing an absail on the 13th of December for a charity called clic sargent who helped mia and her family throughout her gruelling treatments and beyond (And they are currently helping my sister and my family through her treatment - I strongly believe that without them my sister wouldn't be here because we wouldn't have had any emotional support atall!!)... I was kindly wondering if you could put a little post about mia on christis blog asking people , If they can to donate as much as they possibly can to help this charity along the way - Mias mum Justine wants to reach her target of £500! (http://www.justgiving.com/justinepyne )- to donate ,If you would like further info then please do not hesitate to email me - amber.furniss@hotmail.co.uk ! - Do not at all feel like you have to do this - It's just that I had to ask you otherwise I would regret not asking ! - I hope and pray everyday that Christi and mia have found each other in heaven and that they are playing together in God's presence away from harm- from what i have read About Christi I know that Mia and christi have very similar personalitys !!! And they are in to the same things - Mia loved animals and reading just like christi - I wish i could have been Christi's friend !!!! - Lots of love Amber xxxxx
I am 12 and I find it amazing that Christi - who would now be a year younger then me - Can touch my life so deeply and inspire me to look at life from a different point of view and to reach and fufill my goals ! Sending lots of love to you all - Amber and Justine (and mia from heaven !!!) xxx - Tell shayla that i think she's hilarious - she really makes me laugh !

 
At 23/11/08 7:37 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

Sooo glad you had a nice birthday, Angela! You most definitely deserved it.

Shayla, you are such a sweetie. I love your village. We have a Dickens village at home too!

The pictures are simply adorable.

Love to you all!
Olivia

 
At 24/11/08 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just think. . . Someday Shayla will get married to a man with a lot of siblings, and she will have many nieces and nephews. I know it's not the same, but Shayla is loved by so many, I'm sure she will always be surrounded by that love. Wishing you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving.

 
At 24/11/08 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angela, Love the name Sedona! Hoping I'm not out of line here, but you're still young! Maybe "Sedona" is indeed in your future!
Glad you had a happy birthday. Love the game photos -- and said a prayer for Shane's family as it is so unfair these children are not here on earth going to football games like they should be! I'm so glad that Christi gave you the beautiful sunrise on your birthday -- she sure is a special girl.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home