Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Feeding the Pigs

She did it! She saved up enough money for her "Wii"! Here she is with her big stash of money, ready to open up her first account at "First Federal Bank"! (They've been our bank since the new Old Fort Bank President fired Shayne last September. Obviously, we took our accounts elsewhere and although Shayne could care less, I'm still amused when others tell us they did the same thing with their accounts. Actually, one person working for another bank in town told us their saying is, "Old Fort firing Shayne was the best thing that ever happened to our bank!" Too funny!) Regardless, he's been at his new job at the quarry for the past 13 months and our family is incredibly blessed as a result of it all!

First Federal Bank's program for little ones is if you open up an account, they'll add $10.00 and give you a piggy bank. Well, for our little piggy bank collector, this was the perfect fit!

“Local Girl Finds Way to Feed a Pig” (Shayne wrote this article for a newsletter)

Shayla Thomas, 9 year old daughter of Shayne and Angela Thomas of rural Tiffin, is a saver. Her thrift goes well with her collectables-piggy banks. Ever since she was little, Shayla had a taste for saving and she was fond of her piggy banks. Now a fourth grader, her collection has grown to include twenty banks from all around the world. When it came time for her to empty some of those banks into a FDIC insured account, two of her passions came together. First Federal Bank of the Midwest has a “Young Saver Program” that allowed her to open a savings account and receive a complimentary piggy bank. Now she has one more vessel to keep her savings safe.

Some of her banks have special memories. Her late sister, Christi Thomas, made her a “piggy bank” out of paper mache’ shortly before she died; that one is priceless. Another was given to Shayla by a good friend in Philadelphia. Christi accidently broke it one day so Shayla’s grandma glued it back together. Christi nicknamed it “Puzzlelina”. Shayla’s father brings her banks from his travels which adds an international flair to her collection. Her favorites are a Haggis bank from Scotland and one with a light on it from China. She also has one in Swedish. Ultimately though, the best ones have money already in them! This was the case on her eighth birthday when she received that gift from family friends who work at COSI.

PICTURES: It was Christi's 9th birthday, but she wanted to give Shayla a gift. For a couple of weeks, she'd been working on the piggy bank she was making for Shayla. (It's hard to be sneaky when your sister loves nothing more than playing with you and you have a secret gift for her you're trying to make which requires many stages....paper mache, the legs of the pig were tooth paste caps and she had to collect them first, etc., etc.)
We think Shay really liked her gift and it sits upon her bedroom dresser today! Thank you, sweet Christi!

FUNNY: The first night after I got the "wii" at Wal-Mart, we played the bowling game. Shayne immediately got a strike. Shayla said, "Wow, dad! How did you do that?" In a very serious tone Shayne said, "Well.....I didn't want to have to tell you this, but.....we have a wii at work and that is what I do all day. People wonder what I do at my new job and now you know. Now you know why I love my job and why I'm so happy all day." She looked at him stunned, then realized he was joking; they don't have a wii game at work. He just got lucky with his first attempt at bowling! He's a hoot!

PICTURE: Playing wii with a friend.

UPDATES: Tracey Smith was not successful in her bid for state School Board.

Yes, Shayla does "hang up" her shoes. Due to lack of space, we have a shoe organizer on the back of a door. Just like her coat, we expect her to "hang up" her shoes. Shayne's such a sweetie, he hangs his shoes up out in the garage. It really helps to have our shoes out of the way.

10 Comments:

At 5/11/08 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angela, I have been reading your blog for several years now and, after some recent events in my life, I just wanted to tell you what a huge inspiration you are to me, always! You inspire me to live my life to the full, hug my kids more often and appreciate every moment I get to spend with the people I love. You inspire me both as a mum and as a woman with your ambition to be the best you can and your incredibly positive attitude. I wish you and your family all the very best.

 
At 5/11/08 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WELL DONE SHAYLA !!! i love my wii aswell , so glad that you saved up enough for it x shaynes newpaper article is brilliant !!!!!! loved it. everytime I look at a picture of Christi she somehow seems to look even more beautiful then the first time i looked at it which i thought is impossible because Christi is Gorgeous !! that's so sweet that shayla has to hang up her shoes x Shayla that piggy bank collection is awesome ! You have so many from all around the world , Christi must have put alot of effort into the paper mache piggy bank - that's priceless x lots of love being sent to you all ! - Amber xxx p.s:Angela where do you shop i absolutly loved what shayla was wearing in the first and second pictures x

 
At 5/11/08 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job Shayla! It's great that you saved enough for your Wii. Enjoy it! Nice piggy bank collection! Awesome article Shayne! & the piggy bank that Christi made is precious. The Thomas Team=totally talented!
Melissa Morley

 
At 7/11/08 5:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Thomas Team,

Well done Shayla on saving enough money for your wii - I hope you have many hours of fun on it!
I love that people moved their bank accounts in honour of Shayne - good for them, I would have done the same if I lived near you!

Am posting to say that I live in Greece and the other day with all the hype about the elections in the USA one of the candidates running to be the president just so happened to stop in Tiffin, Ohio! It made our news - now maybe that is nothing newsworthy to most people, as for most of us outside of Ohio it is just a town we would never have heard of - and only notable on the day for the President elects presence. But imagine my delight and surprise to see the hometown of the Thomas Team on TV!! I wasn't so interested that the future president was there - more interested in that maybe I would catch a glimpse of one of the Thomas Team and loved seeing part of the place I read in your blog about daily. I love your blog - your family seem so loving, generous, funny, compasionate and a whole bunch more of wonderful values and virtues that it really made my day to see a bit of Tiffin, Ohio on the tv.
Now when you get a Christi Thomas favourite places tour up and running - you can count me in for sure!
Thinking of you all - wishing you a nice weekend, lots of love xxx

 
At 7/11/08 7:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for her - I admire her dedication and I think it was a really great way for you and Shayne to teach her about the value of money - much, I'm sure, as you'd love to spoil her and give her everything she wants!

Hope term is going well, Angela,

Best,
Irene

 
At 7/11/08 9:12 AM, Blogger Aimee Jackson said...

Way to go Shayla!!!! Enjoy your hard-earned Wii. Thank you for sharing your beautiful piggy bank collection with us. It is wonderful, and very fitting for such an enterprising young girl.

Love and prayers from Long Island,

 
At 8/11/08 8:24 PM, Blogger rainberry said...

That's awesome that you have a wii! I only have a Gameboy Advance SP but I am saving up for a Nintendo DS. I hope you have fun with your wii!

 
At 9/11/08 1:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's quite strange to see how Shayla looks more grown up than her beloved sissy. Cancer sucks.

 
At 10/11/08 1:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Angela and Shayne! I have never posted a comment on here but have followed Christi and your family for many years. As I was reading your blog tonite, I scrolled down and there was a picture of Christi and Shayla. Being a longtime reader, I have seen many (many!:)) pictures of Christi but for some reason I just kept staring at my computer screen at her, with tears streaming down my face. At this girl I know so well, but do not know at all. I wondered to myself if her parents know how much she has touched my heart, the lessons she has taught me, and that I will never, ever forget her. I want to thank your family for sharing her amazing life with me and the countless others she has impacted. I am forever changed by her story.

 
At 10/11/08 9:55 AM, Blogger Olivia said...

Shayla, you are too cute with all of your piggie banks. I am sure the one that Christi made for you is extra special. I still have all of the bracelets and necklaces my brother made for me in a special box.

Many hugs to all of you!
Olivia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home