Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Scrapping Led to New Pictures

Thank you for your love and concern; Shayla is doing great! No problems! The stitches come out on Saturday. I purchased "anti scar" cream and I don't think anyone will ever be able to see her little recess boo boo!

Shayla has really been into the scrapbooking and I think she’s doing a wonderful job. She’s already mentioned that when she’s finished with her drama book for her 4H project, she’d like to make a scrapbook of her activities (dance, horse, skating, skiing, etc.).

Thankfully, I had my scrapbooks almost current, when Christi was diagnosed. (OK, I should not call them scrapbooks as one of my friends once told me, “Your pages look like mini-bulletin boards!” I told her I would take that as a compliment since I was a teacher – hee hee. I didn’t use real scrapbooks, but three ring binders with plastic pages I’d slip the information in after I glued it. They’re really treasured actually! Shayla and I have had wonderful afternoons and evenings reading them, looking at the pictures and talking about things she did not know or remember anything about.)

After she was diagnosed I started putting things for the scrapbooks into tubs. It ended up being four large tubs. I’ve continued to want to scrapbook her life, but I’ve also thought, “Once it’s done, it’s done. That’s it.” And since I’m not ready and not able to accept that, I’ll keep saying, “When I’m done with my dissertation I’ll scrapbook her life.” (PIC: Christi, 4, with her new "biggy girl" alarm clock.)

Well, Miss Shayla, has me about ready to get started. As she’s now working independently (for the most part) I keep thinking I should start working where I left off: “Fall 2002” on the other side of the table for my own scrapbook.

A really good thing has come out of this – a new discovery of pictures of Christi (all taken 2001 or 2002, I’m not certain). I found a whole set of negatives while sorting out and arranging things in those tubs! I took them to Wal-Mart this week and had them put on a CD so as you can imagine, I will be sharing “new Christi pictures” in the days ahead! I hope you enjoy them as much as I did, seeing her so happy, so precious and so innocent. Little did we know what was lurking in her 4 and 5 year old body! (PIC: Shayla going "nighty night", age 2)

9 Comments:

At 15/1/09 10:20 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

I can't wait to see the new Christi pictures. Thank you so much for sharing these!

Hugs,
Olivia

 
At 16/1/09 12:29 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I'm glad Shayla is all better! Those new pictures are adorable!!

 
At 16/1/09 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey i just wanted to say that last picture , my kylie had that exact same blanket set and i have a very similar picture of her in her own little bed with her blanket and pillow..smile... i also scrapbook and i did a faith album for kylies life. ie. L is for loving,etc (whatever word or words fits the pictures, then the pictures however you want then a verse from the bible that fits ie. jesus said "Let the children come to me" anyway its very cool, i can send you better information and idea verses if you would like! anyway just wanted to share i love scrapbooking and i did kylies entire medical journey and then she even had drs and nurses autograph the pages its cool to look back and read what they had to say.... take care love amanda

 
At 16/1/09 5:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It could be an good antidote to the dissertation writing? Might even make you feel closer to Christi as you work - I'm sure she's watching over you and Shayla regardless! How wonderful to find the photos. I came across some of a little girl I used to look after in school that were taken about 15 years ago, she since died of cancer - when I next go home I am going to give them to the parents, I hope they will feel the same as you do about some new pictures of their little angel.

Glad Shayla is on the mend!

Irene

 
At 16/1/09 5:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh - and any chance you could take a picture of one of your scrapbook pages? This kind of activity seems not as popular on this side of the atlantic!

Irene

 
At 16/1/09 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The one of Christi age 4, you shared today is one of my favorite pictures of Christi

trine

 
At 16/1/09 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a treasure it is to find all those forgotten Christi photos! Awesome! I think Christi put them there for you to find, so that you'll scrapbook! I have scrapbooked since 1995 and it is so wonderful in both good and bad times. I also think it's a GREAT hobby for both you and Shayla to share together! This is something you can do together throughout her teen years and into adulthood! Enjoy the process, and appreciate the connection between mother and daughter that scrapbooking will play a part in! I can't wait to see completed pages and more Christi photos!

 
At 16/1/09 1:28 PM, Blogger kate523 said...

I'm hoping to get into scrapebooking at some point myself. I do slide shows of my son. There's a blog you may be interested in. You may have Jake Raborn. He's also an angel with Christi. His Aunt Mo write one of the best blogs. She's put together an on-line scrape class. The website is http://www.mojoy.blogspot.com/
She also has 2 of the cutest babies in the world.

Happy scrapin.

Kate

 
At 16/1/09 1:56 PM, Blogger tnorris said...

I have followed your site for years. I cannot even remember who linked me to you, but I have enjoyed the opportunity to prayer for you and your family during difficult times and rejoice with you as well during some of your most recent accomplishments in your career. I have not checked in for some time and was so excited when I did today and learned about Shayla's excitement for Scrapbooking! I am a scrapbooker and just recently built my own workshop behind our house. While moving from my cramped closet space to my new room I have discovered numerous papers, stickers, etc. that I have purchased in duplicate and some in triplicate :-(. I would love to share all of the extras with Shayla if that is ok with you. Please just drop me an address where I can mail them too.

Tonya Norris
tnorris3@peoplescom.net

 

Post a Comment

<< Home