Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Monday, January 12, 2009

Stitches

I knew the day would come when we'd have an ordinary / normal trip to the emergency room. I remember with our cancer journey longing to have something normal happen instead of fighting what we were dealing with. Finally, today it arrived - and trust me, I'm not making light of the incident or the result, but I know what's "bad" and this was a welcome treat compared to cancer.


As the end of my final class of the day was nearing, the phone rang. It was the school secretary telling me Shayla was outside at recess and had an accident on the slide. They felt she needed to go to the hospital to get stitches on her chin, but they wanted me to come to the office to see what I thought. Thankfully, my teacher friend across the hall had her planning period and offered to watch my class.

When I got to the office I had to agree that it was bleeding at a pretty good clip and was cut open more than a normal cut so I went back to my room to gather my work for the evening. My seventh graders were so so so sweet when I told them what happened and that I had to leave them with the other teacher for the last 15 minutes and we'd have to finish what we were doing tomorrow. They told me things to tell Shayla of their own experiences, that it wouldn't hurt, that they'd pray for her, etc. It was precious! I love my students!

Sitting with Shayla in the waiting room and again in the treatment room was terribly odd. She's Christi's size now, but yet has this long hair. I cannot even describe how eerie it all was. She, like Christi, was very frightened. She, like Christi, did terrific and after three stitches was all fixed and ready to go home (or actually back to school for musical practice).

Now the entire time I kept thinking, "How did she cut underneath her chin going down the slide." The teacher in me kept thinking, "There has to be more to the story than I'm hearing." Sure enough. I inquired, "Shayla, I'm so confused as to how you cut your chin going down the slide. Would you please reenact for me what exactly happened." She said, "Sure! I was going down the slide on my belly......." Enough said! I'm so grateful to have a normal accident with this precious little girl! I wish we would have been so lucky with the other one! (PIC: Skiing - or crashing - with Daddy at Snow Trails on Sunday afternoon)

11 Comments:

At 13/1/09 5:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Im so sad to see those tears..

What a beautiful family you have!

 
At 13/1/09 6:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I've followed along with your family now for years! I can't express just how concerned I was to sign on and see Shayla in a hospital bed! I am so happy that she is ok! I can't even imagine how that must have felt! You guys are an example of strength and courage like no other! All the best in 09!

 
At 13/1/09 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, in comparison to cancer this is next to nothing -- but, I must admit that photo of Shayla with the tear in her eye and hand on her chin brought tears to my eyes! If I could've reached into my computer to hug her I would have! I am so glad you're good as new now Shay, and that you even went back to school afterwards! I am mom to 3 sons and we've gone through this many times over the years with each of them! I speak from experience when I say don't ever try to ride your bike with your eyes closed! lol

 
At 13/1/09 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better Shayla, I know how it feels I tried it when I was a bit younger than you, age 7.

 
At 13/1/09 9:10 AM, Blogger IS Teacher said...

Shayla-you handled that one with the grace of a beautiful swan. Wow! (If I tried going down that slide on my belly, who knows WHAT would happen??) I'm glad it took nothing more than three stitches~and it looks like they can barely be seen. How sweet is that!!!

Kim

 
At 13/1/09 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww Shayla! What a brave wee star you are!!! You did a great job being so brave!! I'm proud of you!!

 
At 13/1/09 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh Shayla hunny ! - get well soon i hope that your fall didn't hurt too much sweetheart xxx and that the stitches were ok and weren't too painful , your so brave shayla Thomas x my prayers are with you for a quick recovery :) your little tears in the second picture made me almost cry , gorgeous gal xxx Angela I hope that the hospital didn't remind you to much of the beautiful Christi - Shayla looks more and more like her big/little sister every day , just with more hair xx - love you shayla , get well soon ! Amber x

 
At 14/1/09 2:42 AM, Blogger Jan said...

awww...I just want to hug her and wipe that little tear from her eye! Thinking of you all!

Love and Hugs,
Jan in DE

 
At 14/1/09 6:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Shayla! I pray that this is one of the few trips to the hospital you will have to pay with her - may she stay safe.

Irene

 
At 14/1/09 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shayla is such a trooper! I'm glad she is okay and already back in the swing of things.

Shayla, I know someone who did almost the same thing (going down a water slide) when he was 28! :)

 
At 14/1/09 12:51 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

Feel better, Shayla! I'm thinking of you.

HUGS,
Olivia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home