Support For Christi Thomas

This blog is to help offer support to the Thomas Family and their daughter, Christi, in her battle against cancer. Please visit Christi's website at www.ChristiThomas.com to learn more. There, you'll find journals, photos and a lots of other information about this amazing child and her family.

A Note About Comments: When you post a Comment, please note that it will appear online after it is approved.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

An Amazing Experience

Did I say, "I love my job!" yet this week? If not, I'll do so now! This week I was blessed to be able to attend an absolutely outstanding school. Clearly, it was the most remarkable and amazing school I have ever visited. The cultural diversity, the positive and extremely high caliber teachers, the incorporation of technology and effective teaching strategies based on the M.O.R.E. Approach (Multiple Options for Results in Education) was more than impressive! It was easy to see what it has received national awards. I just kept thinking I wish I had a group of my BGSU students with me. Hopefully, next year!


I learned a ton and I can't wait to get back to Ohio (OK, I heard there's a lot of snow there, maybe I can wait - wink) to share my experience with my students and colleagues. (The teachers even wrote their own book I'm in the midst of reading, "It's All About Kids: Every Child Deserves a 'Teacher of the Year'".)


In speaking with the Head Master I learned she has many applicants who want to teach there, but the bottom line is they are not willing to work as hard as they must to get to teach at that school. Additionally, the teachers all train and learn together each Tuesday after school for two hours. She feels that has really brought the staff together.



Finally, she told me I could take all the pictures I wanted, as long as the ones of students were from a distance, and that I could post all I wanted as long as I posted a picture of their sign and said, "Independent Day School in Tampa, Florida rocks!" (And that is not a stretch by any means - it does!) I had forgotten how different the physical layout of schools in the south typically are so this one, with lakes, fountains, bridges, outside eating areas, etc. was radically different than our schools (often in one tight building) in northwestern Ohio.

I watched amazing lessons in seven different classrooms grades 4-8. Ironically, the very first female teacher's class I went to observe was a teacher named CHRIS THOMAS. I thought to myself, "Christi, stop it, you're freaking mom out here. This is too wild!"




While I was learning, Shayla was being spoiled by her grandparents. Strangely enough, she did not have school on Thursday or Friday, due to parent/teacher conferences, so coming with me was a richly added bonus! Being in Florida and not having homework to make up - ahhhhh! What joy!

3 Comments:

At 28/2/10 9:19 AM, Blogger IS Teacher said...

Once again Angela, I am soooo blessed to have you as a "mentor" to me in my pursuit to complete my Master's. I love to hear about everything you are learning-it makes me not only more determined to succeed, but also to do the very best for my students. Thank you!!

YES-aren't those school buildings in Florida awesome? I LOVED that the kids' cafeterias are outside, surrounded by greenery and flowers while(at least in our case) all the classrooms were accessible from the outside as well! This was especially true at the Catholic school Katie and Emily were blessed to attend, and mostly true in the schools I taught.

When the movie "HOOT" came out and we were back in Ohio, the girls explained to their friends that it was a real school in the movie because theirs was arranged similarly. Not sure all of them bought it though....!!

I absolutely can't wait to hear about what you learn in Italy. I think I am almost as excited as you!!!

Hugs-Kim

 
At 28/2/10 8:32 PM, Blogger Olivia said...

I am so glad it went well, Angela!

Hugs,
Olivia

 
At 2/3/10 1:55 PM, Blogger Dot O said...

Happy belated birthday to Shayla! She's beautiful and getting so big. I always keep the Thomas family in my daily prayers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home